Students’ Thoughts on the Oscars

Hollywood’s brightest stars came out to shine in the 86th annual Academy Awards last Sunday. This year’s Oscars was the biggest in years as they scored high ratings with 43.74 million viewers, which is the most watched in 14 years.
Perhaps the biggest reason for Oscar’s success was the host, daytime TV personality Ellen DeGeneres. This was her second time hosting the show and the comedian did not disappoint audiences as her funny personality and her utilized improv was the talk of the show.
At one point she ordered pizzas for the actors and even brought the star struck delivery man named Edgar Martirosyan on stage and passed slices out to the audiences including Martirosyan’s favorite movie star Julia Roberts, which resulted in a huge $1,000 tip from the actors and host themselves.
DeGeneres also did a selfie along with other actors who joined the fun including Meryl Streep, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Brad Pitt, Lupita Nyong’o and her brother.
She tweeted the photo on her twitter account which people now dubbed “The Best Selfie Ever” causing Twitter to slow down. The photo became the most re-tweeted tweet ever, beating President Obama’s “Four More Years” message on his re-election night back in 2012.
Other Students have also loved Ellen hosting the Oscars such as 19 year old Radiology major Sarah Matthews who said: “Ellen was great, she took the best selfie and I love that she brought the pizza man on stage”.
Most of the top movies of 2013 including “American Hustle” and “Gravity” led the most nominations with 10 awards, while “12 Years a Slave” follows behind with nine nominations.
The high intense science fiction thriller “Gravity” took home seven awards including, “Best Director” for Alfonso Cuarón, who won most awards of the night, including “Best Film Editing.”
“12 Years a Slave” followed by winning three awards including “Best Picture,” “Best Writing- Adapted Screenplay,” and “Best Supporting Actress” for Lupita Nyong’o for her role as a poor slave who was abused by her owners.
“Dallas Buyers Club” also took home three awards including “Best Supporting Actor” for Jared Leto. According to Sarah Matthews: “His speech was beautiful, I liked how he talked about his mother and the AIDS victims he mentioned because of his role”.
Matthew McConaughey won “Best Actor” for his main role in “Dallas Buyers Club” which did not sit well for some students at Bucks as they fell that Leonardo DiCaprio should have won for his main role in “Wolf of Wall Street.”
“One of the Oscars that should have been given to should have been Leo” said 21 year old Accounting major Andrew Okoro.
He is just one of many frustrated students who expressed that Leonardo DiCaprio, who has never won an Oscar for his successful movie roles, deserved to win it. Nick Tagliamunte, 20, Nursing major student said: “Leo would have won for Wolf of Wall Street”.
Cate Blanchett won “Best Actress” for her role in “Blue Jasmine” beating out big names such as Sandra Bullock, Amy Adams, Judi Dench and Meryl Streep.
Jennifer Lawrence didn’t win for “Best Supporting Role” but once again repeated her tripping mishap at the Oscars just last year, only this time at the red carpet.
Henry said, “I’m happy that Frozen won for the movie and song.” The popular Disney movie Frozen won two awards for “Best Animated Feature” and “Best Original Song” for “Let It Go” written by Kristen and Robert Lopez, who mention in their speech, “Happy Oscars to you, let’s do Frozen 2.”
Other musical performances include Pink who sang “Over the Rainbow” as a tribute to the 75th anniversary to the classical musical fantasy “The Wizard of Oz” and Bette Midler sang “Wind Beneath My Wings.”
During the memorial part of the show they paid tribute to the people involved in films who lost their lives in the past year like James Gandolfini, Paul Walker, Shirley Temple and Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman.
This year’s Oscars were enjoyable, especially Ellen DeGeneres, and if you haven’t seen the movies that won or were nominated then don’t be afraid to go to the movie theatre and watch them. After all, movies move us in ways that can provide a great entertainment.