‘The Sims 4’ offers plenty of changes

Sept. 2 marked the release of “The Sims 4,” a highly anticipated edition to the beloved video game series, “The Sims.”

“The Sims” is a sandbox video game series that expresses creation by simulating life. Players are able to create any person or family imaginable, build the dream homes they desire and control almost anything that happens within the game.

The series was initially created by Maxis games and published by Electronic Arts in February 2000. By 2006, the game became so popular, Maxis had to create “The Sims Studio” in 2006, which is an entire department dedicated to creating the game.

There has been much excitement with the release of “The Sims 4”, but with excitement comes curiosity and doubt over specific changes that have been made.

There have been a plethora of alterations and upgrades from the previous games, both good and bad.

Some changes include enhanced graphics, increased player abilities, more animations and even greater story possibilities.

Due to so many improvements, however, a few of the series’ most important features have been removed in the base game. The biggest cut back in the new game being the exclusion of swimming pools and the toddler “life stage”.

Many players say they enjoyed having the ability to create swimming pools in their backyards. Players also lamented that removing the time span between a baby and a child brings back the incomplete feeling that was often experienced in the very first “Sims” game.

In addition, the player is now unable to add basements to houses, nor are they able to use custom colors and patterns to design objects or outfits.

Some may find these simple drawbacks to be insignificant, however, it may cause the gameplay to be extremely unsatisfying to others.

If you are one that has become disappointed by these facts, keep in mind that this is only the base game.

“The Sims” is well known for having many expansion packs and there is a possibility that these features as well as new ones will be added back eventually, especially if the players make it known that they are unhappy with these changes.

Aside from that, there already happen to be many improvements and new features within the game.

One of the most interesting features is that there are no longer slide screens when customizing your Sims in “Create-a-Sim”. Any physical feature that you wish to change is done with a simple click and pull on the Sim’s face or body. This advances customization and emphasizes diversity between each individual Sim.

The possibility to make truly unique Sims is greater than it ever was before, and that goes well beyond appearance.

Personality is a big factor in this new game. Advancements in your Sims’ personalities create greater impacts on how they react to specific situations and they influence the relationships that they obtain.

Along with the “Create-a-Sim” advancements, there are extreme improvements within the build and buy mode where you build and decorate your house.

The player is now able to pick up and change the location of an entire room, building, or house on a specific lot. The size of rooms are also able to be changed without the old hassle of fixing the room’s wallpaper or floor tiles. The Sims 4 also added room models which players can customize to save time. Lastly, the height of your house’s foundation can now be adjusted to four different heights.

If you have some extra cash on your hands, go out and get a copy. Despite the setbacks, there are a plethora of new things to enjoy in this gaming classic.