Summer Film Hits & Flops, part one

With the end of the semester just weeks away and summer coming upon us, it feels fitting to talk about upcoming films that will be hitting cinemas this summer.
In a two-part guide, The Centurion has gone ahead and broken down the summer movie premiers into two categories.
“Summer hits,” what we expect to be a huge success, and a great movie outing and “Summer flops,” the movies that will be belly-flopping their way into theaters this summer.

To start off the summer, “Avengers: Age of Ultron” will be smashing its way into theaters on May 1.
The sequel to Marvel’s “The Avengers,” Age of Ultron looks to be this summer’s biggest hit.  Adapted from Marvel’s 2013 summer 10–part comic crossover, “Avengers: Age of Ultron” pits The Avengers against an artificial intelligence known as Ultron that has evolved to wipe out all organic life and take over the Earth. It is anticipated to be the highest grossing film of the summer, if not the year.

Director George Miller’s Mad Max franchise will be returning to the big screen on May 15 without Mel Gibson. “Mad Max: Fury Road” is the fourth film in the post-apocalyptic saga, which first debuted in 1979. Tom Hardy will be replacing Gibson as Mad Max.  This time around Max teams up with a mysterious woman, Furiousa, in a battle for survival.

“Jurassic World” is set to release June 12, making it the fourth film in the Jurassic Park franchise. With Chris Pratt in the lead role it hopes to reignite the success of the franchise, which was stifled by the lackluster third film released in 2001.The second week of May sees Arnold Schwarzenegger’s zombie horror film “Maggie” hit theaters and hopes to become a sleeper hit.  Abigail Breslin stars as a young girl who becomes infected with a virus, slowly turning her into a flesh-eating zombie. Schwarzenegger plays the role of her father who struggles with his duty to save his daughter as she increasingly zombifies.

“Spy” looks to be Melissa McCarthy’s latest film flop. Working for the CIA yet never advancing onto fieldwork, McCarthy gets her chance to shine when Jude Law misfires on the job. The music and awful jokes in the trailer say it all. Why waste your precious time on the same foul humor as all the previous McCarthy movies, which is precisely why “Spy” has flop stamped all over it.

“Insidious: Chapter 3’” is most likely to be the lowest grossing film in the Insidious franchise. ‘Chapter 3’ is a prequel to the previous Insidious films, which follow the haunting of a family that must use a psychic to contact a spiteful ghost. Considering the trailer and previous chapters “Insidious 3” will do nothing to scare today’s audiences.