Roggenbuck’s newest book a hilarious read

Humorous scenarios amid nature, either based in reality or entirely abstract, are a continual motif throughout up and coming Steve Roggenbuck’s newest book of short stories in prose entitled “Calculating How Big Of A Tip To Give Is The Easiest Thing Ever, Shout Out To My Family & Friends.”

As Roggenbuck’s fifth short book, this publication, released in February by Boost House delves deeply into the Biophilia, a term coined by Edward O. Wilson a well-known American biologist as the human “urge to affiliate with other life forms.”

Roggenbuck demonstrates this urge by involving many aspects of nature into his poems, and featuring animals as characters that interact directly with human characters in many of his stories.

Roggenbuck’s book also looks at many current ethical dilemmas humanity faces in the 21st century including a lack of gender equality, societies driven by fear of failure, drugs, factory farming and deforestation.

By expressing the need to love all pieces of the natural world from fellow humans to the moon, this book inspires readers to love more and live life to the fullest, appreciating the beauty that we often take for granted in such simple elements, like the phases of the moon.

“If you can appreciate a waning gibbous you can appreciate anything. And that means: sitting, breathing, walking, you could appreciate the most boring and simple parts of life. Practice appreciation by loving a waning gibbous,” wrote Roggenbuck.

This book certainly appeals towards a digital-affluent, teenage and young adult demographic.

Evidently inspired by social media formats of writing pioneered by the young adult crowd, Roggenbuck integrates such textual elements as the term “hehe,” repetitive, unconventional punctuation, and emoticons within his writing.

Also keeping relevant with popular internet forums and topics, Roggenbuck makes continual mention of such people, things and spaces as BlogSpot, Furby, dads, postmodernism, Reddit, Paul Walker and Craigslist.

As a reader, this book made me laugh out loud more often than not.  Not only though did I laugh, I also took with me new topics to think over concerning the welfare of our earth and others.

A quick and easy coffee table read for those versed in the unconventional writing style of the new digital age, as well as, for those who desire to be more socially conscious of the world and choices around them.

In his bio, Steve Roggenbuck describes himself as “a poet and video maker, editor at boost house, and an aspiring activist… a vegan and sober (who) loves the sky and fruit.”

Roggenbuck’s own personal characteristics show through in his writing, to create a powerful work of art. “Calculating How Big Of A Tip To Give Is The Easiest Thing Ever, Shout Out To My Family & Friends” can be purchased for $10 at www.boost-house.com.