Tibetan Monks visit Bucks to give a glimpse into their culture

Bucks hosted Tibetan Monks from the Drepung Gomang Monastery for a week-long glimpse into their culture from April 4 to April 8.
The monks created a sand mandala – a large sand sculpture used for prayer. The event drew people of all ages and faiths to the Solarium to witness something that most had never experienced.
The cultural pageant on Tue. April 5, filled the Zlock Center and left people in awe from the amazing choreography and music.
Highlights of the event included the Snow Lion dance, which symbolizes freedom, as well as the Yak dance, representing strength and playfulness.
Prayers and a debate among the monks were also featured, and were warmly received by the audience.
The Sacred Art Tour by the Drepung Gomang Monastery has been rolling through the United States for about a year. They share their culture, performances, and prayer in contribution to an ultimate goal, world peace.
The head of the tour and senior member, Geshe Tsewang, talked about what lies ahead for the monks.
“This is the second year, we started last July. Next, we are going to New Hampshire. In June, we go back to India,” Tsewang said.
Tsewang became a monk at 11 years old and joined the Drepung Gomang Monastery in 1986.
The Drepung Monastery was invaded by Communist China in 1959, leading the monks to lives in exile in   India. They have done all they can to preserve their culture and provide support for their community during times of need.
Their appearances in the United States have brought light to these issues. Many would not otherwise be aware of the situation.
The event at Bucks was organized by Peter Chiovarou, the Director of Community Programming & College Events. He was impressed with the amount of interest the monks attracted.
“I was extremely happy with the response we received. We had approximately 450 visitors per day in the Solarium, and had a full house for the Cultural performance,” says Chiovarou.
The Solarium saw a number of interested visitors not only for the creation of the sand mandala, but for the various gifts and clothing available for purchase.
Continuing with the themes of kindness and compassion, the monks who were a part of the Sacred Arts Tour “gave a gift to Bucks for the college’s recognition and unstinted support to the Drepung Gomang Monks,” said Chiovarou.
Chiovarou has “been receiving multiple emails and phone calls after the monks’ visit from attendees who are thankful that the Cultural Affairs Committee brought this to the community and students.”
With such a positive reception toward the Drepung Gomang monks, Bucks will be working to have them return next year.
“We hope to have the Monks back when they tour the U.S. again in fall of 2017,” said Chiovarou.