Music for Studying: What Genre is Best?

Whether it comes down to studying, homework, or last minute cram-sessions, many students find comfort in the use of music to aid them in their school work. The positive effects of listening to music are divided amongst students though. While some feel like music helps them focus on their work, others feel like they can’t concentrate while listening to their favorite songs.
Kory Figueroa, 20, a Biochemistry major from Robbinsville, NJ believes in the usage of music. “I listen to all sorts of things while studying” he claims. “It tends to keep me focused on the task.”
His music that he used while studying that he shared was from multiple genres such as rap, hip-hop, rock, and pop.
Others feel the complete opposite, however, and would rather not have any outside sounds distract them. “It’s too distracting” says Kim Morales, 21, nursing major from Morrisville, PA. “I start typing the song lyrics or getting distracted and I end up taking twice as long to finish anything.”
While not showing her music play-list, she said she’s tried “just about every genre to see what did or didn’t work.”
With a divide in the belief of using music, it also raises the question of what genres actually help focus? The top genres for studying, from recent studies by Occupational Therapist Shin, Yi-Nuo suggest that participants performed “with multiple variations” of scores, and that what works “varies from person to person,.”
For example, Tim Pietrowski, 23, Biochemistry student from Levittown, PA claims that “The genre itself is important”, and that “classical, funk, anything that isn’t super-catchy works wonders for keeping focus.”
The popular consensus of genre to listen to is generally classical music, as it’s calm, and lacks vocal tracks. Funk, jazz, or any genre with a focus on instrumentals work best. Genres to avoid are pop-music or metal, songs that generally consist of high energy and catchy lyrics that can keep you completely unfocused. Who wouldn’t rather be singing along to their favorite songs instead of doing homework?