President Shanblatt announces that tuition is on the rise

Bucks President Stephanie Shanblatt hosted a public forum on Feb. 20 in which she said a “modest tuition increase” was in the works, despite maintaining earlier that no such hike would be necessary.

Due to greater demands on the college’s resources, the school requires a 5 percent increase in its budget for the coming fiscal year. When the state legislature and the governor turned down the college’s requested increase, it came as no surprise to Shanblatt, as she made clear in the forum.

Shanblatt did not provide details of the amount of the tuition hike, which would likely take effect in Fall 2014.

In an interview with the Centurion in December, Shanblatt said no tuition increase would be necessary in the current academic year, but she left open the possibility that one might be needed next year.

Faced with dropping enrollment and cuts in government funding, Bucks has raised tuition for the last several years.

In other areas, Shanblatt said she believed that restricting late registration ha a minimal impact on enrollment.

But she added that it’s tough to see the impact of restricting late registration this semester, because registration was extended due to winter weather.

“Michigan’s winters are worse; this winter would be about on par in Michigan” added Shanblatt jokingly.

Shanblatt also touched on the weather related class cancellations. Dean of Academic and Curricular Services, Catherine C. McElroy told the forum that classes would be pushed up until 19 May, and finals would begin on May 19 and continue into May 20.

The actual details for the make-up dates will be available on the college’s website.

Shanblatt also touched on the new science lab being planned. There will be a groundbreaking ceremony in early June, and according to Shanblatt, they are currently finalizing the design work.

Unknown to many students, there has been a search ongoing to find a new Provost of Academic Affairs. Shanblatt said they have narrowed the list down to their finalists.

Shanblatt wants the candidates to finish out their terms at their current employment before they take any position at Bucks.
At the forum, the sustainability committee outlined their issues with the power usage attached to the lights in the parking lot. They also talked about the “bottle filling station” in the Rollins Center by the ATM and Cafeteria.

As they talk about how the station keeps bottles out of the waste management system, Shanblatt humorously hid the plastic water bottle she had been drinking from.
On a lighter note, Shanblatt affirmed that the Student Ambassador program will be continued much as it was last semester, and students can volunteer to show new students the school and help with orientation. However, the outlines for becoming an ambassador and performing duties is still being planned.

Another detail added to the forum was that they are planning on turning the empty quiet study space by Fireside Lounge into a new Advising and Transfer Center.
Finally, the forum touched on a new feature that is going to be added to the Bucks website. The printed version of the college’s course offerings are being discontinued. Instead, students will be able to access an online catalogue without needing a password or username.

Students will still have to log into WebAdvisor to register for classes and see how many seats are available.
In the end, Shanblatt praised everyone’s hard work and maintained that the late-start classes are still looking and performing well. Hopefully

this performance will stretch into the community and eliminate the needs for any more tuition increases in the near future.