Bucks’ alumni to speak at forum

Students get the opportunity of a lifetime when professional journalists come to Bucks to tell about their careers.
The lecture will take place at Bucks in the Centurion Office, Rollins 127. From 8:00-9:15 a.m. and again at 11:00-12:15 p.m., everybody is welcomed and admission is free.
Students will get the opportunity to hear about the college’s journalism program, as well as become acquainted with the lab where the student newspaper is produced.
Bucks’ Journalism professor, Tony Rogers, suggests that students attend the forum, saying, “It’s very informal. I like having young reporters speak to the students because than they can relate with one another.”
All five speakers were once Bucks students too, “which is one of the most exciting things about this particular forum, and most of them were students of mine,” says Rogers.
Guest speaker Laurie Mason Schroeder, Bucks graduate of 1996, works primarily for Calkins Media covering court and crime stories for the Bucks County Courier Times and The Intelligencer Newspaper.
Eric Redner, a former editor for The Centurion here at Bucks and a graduate of the Bucks and Temple University Journalism programs will be making an appearance as well. Since 2005, Redner has been a writer/editor for an Internet-based sports wire service titled Sportsnetwork.com.
The most recent Bucks alum, Anthony Dimattia, is an award-winning writer and editor for the Centurion.  He graduated from Bucks in 2012. He covers government and school stories in Bristol Township as well as crime in Lower Bucks County for the Bucks County Courier Times.
Professor Rogers mentions, “People are always assuming that you can’t get a job in journalism because it competes with the Internet, but these conferences prove that young people are getting good jobs in journalism.”
Local news junkie Tom Sofield, co-founder of the local news website LevittownNow.com will also be attending. Sofield has been covering news in Bucks County for three years and has contributed to the Journal Register Company and worked for the Aol/Huffington Post Media Group’s Patch.com network.
Tom Rowan, who studied journalism and wrote for the Student newspaper at Bucks continued his education at Temple University and graduated in 2011with a major in Journalism. Rowan is currently a general assignment reporter for Metro Newspaper. Prior to that, Rowan interned and free-lanced for the Philadelphia Daily News, Philly.com, Bucks County Courier Times, and Doylestown Intelligencer.
The successful Bucks alumni will discuss their professions with the students to enlighten them about careers in Journalism. The conference will conclude with a question and answer session with the students.
The journalism committee is fortunate to have former Bucks students speak to the current aspiring journalism students about the many job opportunities that come with a journalism background.
Students will be given the opportunity to learn more about the journalism field and have any questions answered by the educated speakers in their field of expertise.
Bucks encourages students to attend the seminar for anyone who is considering a job in the industry of news reporting and writing.  It’s an opportunity student’s won’t want to miss.