Bucks offers metalwork training for qualified applicants

In response to Bucks County’s growing need for metalworkers, Lower Bucks has partnered with local businesses to create a grant-funded metal fabrication training program to satiate this growing workforce.

The college has already trained 15 people through the program, which first began in July, and 12 have gained employment in the field so far.

The metal fabrication program is a free 12-week course led by employers in the industry to train unemployed or underemployed residents of Bucks County for entry-level positions in the field of metalworking.

The program is aimed to “get people gainfully employed out there in the workplace,” said the Director of Workforce Development, Emily Evans.

Since training a new employee can be costly, the program benefits both the individual applying and the employer. Dan Loeper, director of business development for Bucks, believes this program will “ensure success for candidates and the businesses.”

“One of the most important aspects of the program was that the manufacturers invested time at all stages of the program – this included interviewing prospects who had applied. Only 15 of the more than 60 that applied were invited into the cohort,” said John Shegda, owner and president of M&S Grinding.

Shegda’s company has been highly involved in the program being on the advisory board, as well as, hosting a tour of their facilities for the students in late August.

“We, as manufacturers, had input regarding who we thought would be a good fit for a job in our companies. We got to ask questions that we would normally ask in interviews to get a good sense of the intelligence and work ethic that the applicants had. This involvement gave us a vested interest in the students – we wanted to see them succeed,” continued Shegda.

“We found the caliber of the students to be very high,” said Shegda, who has hired graduates of the July class and was present to conduct face-to-face interviews with new applicants this past November.

Shegda said it is a “bigger opportunity to grow and expand,” as well as “impact our customers and engineers we work with.”

Approximately 40 people attended the second the information session for the training program on Nov. 13 held at the Lower Bucks campus.

Seven metalworking companies, M&S Centerless Grinding, Havis Inc., Waste Gas Fabricating, FBF Industries, Worth and Company Inc., Empire Abrasive, and Equipment Therm-Omega-Tech, held on-the-spot interviews at the session to screen applicants for the program that will begin Jan. 12. They also administered a multiple-choice mechanical aptitude test.

The training program is funded through a Community Development Block Grant provided by the Bucks County Commissioners and the requirements for applicants are as follows:

• Must be a resident of Bucks County and a U.S. citizen or green card holder

• Must be 18 years of age or older

• Must have a high school diploma or GED

• Must have interest in working in the advanced manufacturing field

• Must pass a background screening, drug/alcohol screening, mechanical aptitude test, and physical test

• Must have reliable transportation to attend class and industry field trips

• Must be willing to attend every session of the daytime training

“All of the companies have said we need individuals that are motivated… and enthusiastic about what they are doing,” said Lauren Loeffler, executive director of workforce development.

Both Loeffler and Evans agree that the metalwork field is in “high demand,” because they are “high priority occupations.”

“[It’s] honestly one of the best things I’ve seen in awhile,” said Robert Hennessee, 24, resident of Bensalem.

The interviews were only five minutes long but gave everyone present a chance to meet possible future employers. “I would have liked to do more interviews,” said Andy Garvey, 22, former Bucks liberal arts major.

“It’s a good opportunity to get a skilled job,” said Garvey.

The college will offer the free metal fabrication training program again during the spring semester to applicants that qualify. Those interested in applying can call 215-504-8553 or email [email protected].