Shopping for the holidays on a budget

If you missed the Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday deals, don’t panic.

There are still plenty of ways to get great gifts on a college student’s budget.

Many people believe that Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday are the only opportunities for great deals for all your shopping needs, but all is not lost. The holiday season is not just about sharing but also savings. Retail designates the entire month of December to providing the best deals for shoppers.

Stores such as Forever 21, a men’s and women store now has great options like “deal of the week.” The deal of the week is a usually higher priced item that is brought down to a lower price for the entire week, both online and in store. Other stores such as Francesca’s, H&M, and Cotton On also follow this same example offering customers these weekly, and sometimes even daily deals.

“I always give myself a budget around the holidays and scout out the best deals, and I usually come out pretty well,” said Roshad Douyon, 17, liberal arts major from Bensalem.

Douyon added that he thinks the best way to save money is by setting a budget for each person and not exceeding it. Remember there is always a way to stay within your budget and still get a great gift.

Retail stores are taking the better part of their deals to the cyber world.

As a result, many deals have special promotions for different days. Trendy Tuesday is becoming popular with most websites, so student shoppers are able to receive special promotions for their merchandise and often free shipping.

Sites such as Amazon, 6pm.com, and EBay also do special deals between Black Friday and Christmas, that could save you anywhere from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars.

However, these deals only last for a short while so it’s important for budgeted shoppers to stay updated.

“I’m constantly checking sites to see what promotions and deals they have for the day, and if I’m lucky I catch some really great ones,” said Jade Thomas, 18, nursing major from Levittown.

Thomas finds it cheaper to shop for gifts after black Friday because many of the stores are trying to sell as much merchandise as possible before Christmas.

Stores are in crunch time during the holidays, working hard to meet sales quotas for the end of the year.

Last minute shopping can be stressful, but some of the best deals are made the last week before Christmas and even the week of Christmas.

“I’m definitely that last minute shopper, I tell myself every year to start more in advance and plan, but I always come out with such great deals I can’t resist the last minute shopping,” said Jess Smith, 19, an early education major from Richboro.

As someone who is on a budget, it is crucial to take advantage of these deals, because getting great gifts at greater prices is something you can smile.