Gun control: A pressing matter and a difficult solution

Despite the horrific number of Americans who have had their lives and families changed forever due to senseless gun violence, there has been no movement in Congress to toughen up existing gun laws.
After the shooting in Oregon, Democratic presidential hopeful’s Hilary Clinton and Martin O’Malley, have come out in support of furthering gun control while the GOP candidates continue to remain adamantly opposed to further restrictions.
The debate pits public safety advocates against those who believe self-defense through gun ownership is a constitutional right that should not be breached in any way. While Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley, have offered serious proposals to curtail gun violence, the Republican candidates argued that more gun restrictions would be wholly ineffective at preventing mass shootings.
As Obama noted in his statement after the killings in Oregon, more Americans have been killed by gun violence than by terrorism. According to CNN, between 2001 and 2013, there were 406,496 who died as a result of gun violence whereas victims of terrorism numbered 3,030.
In the aftermath of the shooting in Oregon, Hillary Clinton, has outlined four steps to curb gun violence. Firstly, the plan seeks to make it tougher for vendors without a license to sell firearms at gun shows. Because of the “gun show loophole,” buyers at those events do not have to undergo a background check.
Current laws allow buyers to acquire a gun after three days even if the background check is still incomplete. Clinton’s second proposal would seek to close that loophole.
Next, Clinton wants to enact new laws that would forbid those who have committed domestic violence from purchasing guns. In a study, the Center for American Progress found that almost “12,000 convicted stalkers” still retain their right to acquire guns.
Last but not least, Clinton wants to revoke the legal immunity that has been extended to both manufacturers and dealers of guns since 2005.
Another Democratic candidate, Martin O’Malley, the former governor of Maryland, proposed even more stringent gun regulations.
O’Malley claims he wants to “ban the sale of combat assault weapons.” O’Malley also wants to require every gun purchaser to be fingerprinted and to have a license. Since the federal government is the main buyer of weapons, the governor would make the government buy guns only from companies that use the latest and safest technologies. Finally, O’Malley would make the trafficking of guns a federal crime.
On the Republican side, none of the candidates, at least thus far, are willing to even entertain the possibility of passing new gun restrictions.
“Criminals don’t follow gun laws… there is just no evidence that these gun laws would prevent these shootings.” Marco Rubio, the senator from Florida, said.
“Gun control only works for normal law abiding citizens. It doesn’t work for crazies.” Ben Carson claimed.
As for Jeb Bush, he said “Look stuff happens, there is always a crisis and the impulse is always to do something and it is not the right thing to do.”
Donald Trump also showed doubt that increased gun control will yield less gun violence.
“You’re going to have these things happen.” Trump said.
As pointed out by the Washington Post, the National Rifle Association “exerts [strong] influence over Congress,” particularly Republican members. Moreover, Republican voters are less likely to support gun control restrictions. These two factors help explain why most Republicans in the Congress as well as GOP presidential candidates are reluctant to support sensible gun control measures.
Obama, who has given 11 speeches in the wake of mass shootings during his administration, also pointed out during his latest speech that America spent more than a $trillion and the government created a new cabinet, the Homeland Department in order to protect the public from threats of terrorism since the 9/11 attacks. There was generally bipartisan support for the steps that were taken to protect the country. When it comes to gun control, however, there is virtually no elected Republican in Congress and none of the Republican presidential candidates who would support strengthening existing gun laws despite the death of thousands of Americans as a result of gun violence every year.
Since Republicans control both the Senate and the House of Representatives, it is highly unlikely that Congress would pass new legislation that would make it harder to acquire guns in the near future.