Student Government Association gearing up for this semester

Former and current president of the Student Government Association (SGA) are working together to allow students to have a hand in all aspects of student life on campus.
Matt Kelly is the current Councilor of Clubs and Organizations; a pivotal role in SGA. He is 22, a business major, and was elected to his position last spring. Kelly previously served as the organization’s president. When asked what interested him in student government, Kelly replied, “being the voice of student to administration, I am interested in the community and public service.”
Kelly is in charge of advising and managing the multitude of clubs offered at Bucks. He also attempts to further the initiative of SGA, which he says is, “to be the active voice of students when dealing with administration.”
Kelly is proud of the work of SGA has done in years prior, listing one of the most successful accomplishments, enacting the student discount card, available to students with a 3.25 GPA or higher in the bookstore and Culinart.
This year Kelly’s goals are “continuing the programs of last year’s administration, aligning ourselves with administration to pass along vital messages to student community, and advancement of student community.”
Another crucial member of the SGA is the association’s current president, Razin Karu, who dedicates himself to bettering Bucks and offering aid to its students, even on days he doesn’t have class.
Karu is 26 and a history major who enjoys, “reading, traveling, trying new kinds of food, community service and spending time with kids.”
After joining the Buck’s Muslim Student Association, Karu became interested in pursuing his already active role in student government, and was encouraged by his fellow club members to run for SGA president.
As President of Student Government Association, Razin Karu’s responsibilities consist of creating both long and short term motives for the SGA, and sitting in on weekly meetings with the Board of Trustees.
Karu also works with other essential SGA members, including Vice President Sebastian Avila, whose focus is brainstorming for crucial policies of the administration. Director of Events Vinissa Kattiya-aree is “responsible for the for the execution of the SGA activities and making arrangements for marquee events,” and Treasurer Ume Aiman Sarfaraz is in charge of finances and the budget of the SGA.
Together, they attempt to accomplish the goals Karu has set for his term, “to ensure that Bucks students are represented in an adequate manner. To be proactive so that every student feels that they have a voice in the college,” Karu said.
Karu says, “The student government is responsible for the dispensing the student activity fees for campus events and we’re there to see that they’re used for the benefit of our students.”
Student life here at the Newton Campus of Bucks is safe in the proactive hands of the current tenure. The student body should keep their eyes out for what SGA has in the works for this semester.