College Plus Support Group Gives the Gift of Education

College Plus, through Voice and Vision Inc. of Warminster, gives people with mental health diagnoses the option to go to college. College Plus is a support group managed by Caren Noonan of Jamison and Mindy Haas of Souderton.
Stigma is a big reason so many students are hesitant to go to college. A “stigma” is a negative term connected with something. For mental illnesses, stigmas can be debilitating. The students that join College Plus do some stigma busting as they beat the odds that were tossed at them.
Anyone who has a mental health diagnosis can join. It has to be their first semester for them to pay for their books and class, or their first time back to school. Haas spoke of the idea to opening the support group up to everyone.
Many of the students shock themselves at their accomplishment. College Plus is the guiding hand that helps these students take their first step into or back into college life. One of the new programs that is now being used in College Plus is called “Hand.” Hand stands for Hope and New Directions. It was founded by Valarie Melroice, head of Voice and Vision Inc. This allows students to explore their strengths, barriers, dreams, goals, and discover how to reach them. At the end of the semester feedback is given in a survey. This lets College Plus see what works and what doesn’t work.
College Plus will pay for your first class and set of books. This helps students because it allows them to take one class only, and work their way up once they feel more comfortable. Some students may want to take more than one, and this is fine. It is not their job to tell the students what to do. It is their job to guide the students in the right direction.
When the students first join there is an orientation. They are informed about the placement test, office of accessibility, and what College Plus does. They are given a check list and introduced to Hand. College Plus works closely not only with the students but with the academic accessibility office at Bucks. Letting the students know they have a place to go while in the school helps make the transition easier.
The accessibility office provides assistance to students who have the proper documentation. They provide services to anyone who needs them.
“It’s diversity through awareness and education,” says Debra Halper, assistant director of the accessibility office in BCCC. They make sure all students are treated equal and have the same opportunities.
“It’s a great place to get their feet wet,” Noonan noted. College Plus doesn’t only care for the students’ success, they’re a helping hand in them obtaining it. The students, however, have to do all the work. Haas really boiled it down to one basic thing. They are there to encourage the students.
Students walk away feeling accomplished. They obtain something they didn’t think was possible. It shows that everyone can be a success. Haas noted that “success is defined differently for different people.” Some of the students find that college isn’t for them and go into a different route.
Both Noonan and Haas feel similar to the students they help. “I have a real heart for people,” Haas said. It makes connecting with this students and watching them succeed worth the while. Noonan sees a bit of herself in each student that they help. Struggling with a diagnosis herself and going to college allows her to connect on a personal level. Both peers enjoy the work they do. They will keep inspiring the students even after their first semester through the support group that is College Plus.