Bucks baseball steps up to the plate

Bucks baseball steps up to the plate

After a winter that seemed like it would be never ending, spring has come, and so has the Men’s baseball season.

This season the team will be led by manager Brad Tracy, who is in his first season as manager of the team. This isn’t Tracy’s first coaching job. He has been coaching for 25 seasons.

Tracy truly loves baseball, and was a player before he was a coach. But even now being a coach, he is still a student of the game, learning new things about the game and his players every single day.

Tracy said that he always wanted to be a coach. He said, “I have been coaching for 25 years and I always felt it was my responsibility to pass on experiences that I had as a player, in order for today’s players to learn and become better players themselves.”

While last season wasn’t a great one for the team, finishing just 4-14, Tracy was brought in this season to bring a winning attitude and gain some respect from their opponents.

“My expectations and goals this season include competing and giving 100% effort in every game, never stop working to improve, respecting the game, gaining the respect of the league, and making the playoffs.” Tracy seemed very adamant about this, as he not only wants his players to always give their best effort, but believes if they do that they can make the playoffs.

This season the team has very solid pitching, led by Nick Heller and Rich Ciarlante, both are freshmen. They are not only starting pitchers, but they are versatile and play multiple positions in the field.

The offense, while not as strong as the pitching, is improving day by day. The team is led by its two captains Drew Sica and Joe Monaghan. Sica is a utility player that plays many different positions and can utilize his talent wherever he’s placed, while Monaghan plays first base and anchors the infield.

But like most teams, the Centurions aren’t strong in every aspect of the game. Their main weakness is a shaky defense that will definitely take some repetitions in practice to improve.

Coach Tracy believes that for the team to be successful, they need more than just one player to carry the team. He said, “A successful team has contributions fro mall of its players, but it is important for the more experienced players to produce at critical times.”

Tracy also believes that as a manager, it is up to him to get the most out of his players to produce. He said, “A coach has to put players in positions where they can succeed. If every player is individually successful, then the team will be successful. It is early in the season and we are still finding out about each other, but I am confident that this season will be a success.”

As of print date, the team is currently 0-5, but showing great signs of improvement. The team still has time to turn their season around and complete their main goal of making the playoffs.