Equestrian team not horsin around

The revamped Bucks equestrian team makes its return to competition this month, amid very high expectations entering their year.

These expectations stem from Bucks’ recent history of success, especially on individual events over the past few years, and the rising support of the sport among Bucks students.

Despite the success of last year, improvement remains an important point in practice for Patty Silcox, coach of the Bucks equestrian team.

“Our competition is Oct. 22 at Delaware Valley College’s Equestrian Center and I feel we are more prepared than last year and the new members on the team are working very hard.”

The history of equestrian sport dates back over 2,000 years, to when the Greeks introduced dressage–meaning “training” in French, and involves the progressive training of the horse to a high level of impulsion, collection, and obedience.

The sport continued to develop as a military exercise through the Middle Ages, with the “Eventing” competition, taking place over four days–which included dressage, cross country and show jumping tests–designed to reflect the range of challenges horses faced in the army.

Equestrian events were first included in the Paris Olympic Games in 1900.

It is the only Olympic sport in which men and women compete against each other on equal terms and the only one in which humans and animals compete together to create a harmonious partnership between horse and rider.

The rising popularity of the sport has led to a growth in numbers for Bucks’ equestrian team’s roster.

“The team is twice as large as last year which is great and the returning students worked all summer so they are stronger and that is great for me as a coach”, said Silcox.

Practice remains business as usual for the coach, as she attempts to keep her team skills sharp.

“As a team we are working on sharpening our riding skills so we can become even more competitive,” said the coach.

When asked what Bucks students could expect from the equestrian team this fall, Silcox had one thing to say, “We will make the school proud.”