Women’s basketball fights hard in loss to Atlantic Cape

Outgunned after two teammates fouled out of the game, Bucks’ women’s basketball team, the Lady Centurions, faced a tough home-opener loss against the Atlantic Cape Buccaneers.

The team started the game down one player, Guard Alexa Wintersteen, who was out with a concussion from a previous game.

Adding to this setback, Guard Jacqueline Walsh and Forward Devon Rink each fouled out.

Before leaving the game, Walsh contributed both on the scoreboard and on defense—with nine points and four rebounds.

Guard Elise McClintock proved she is a versatile player who can handle the ball during one play and on the next, battle for position on the block. Notching the team high, scoring 11 points along with nine rebounds, McClintock established herself as a hard-nosed player, involving herself in every play, while making perceptive decisions under pressure.

Forward Kelsey Fuller, may not have translated points onto the scoreboard, but Fuller’s efforts showed on the court. She and McClintock shared ball handling duties and ran the offense. Coach Lori Sullivan said McClintock and Fuller “took that game on their shoulders.”

Although outplayed by the Buccaneers in this non-conference game, 82-30, Sullivan was proud of how hard her team worked on the court. “The girls played with heart! I couldn’t have asked any more of them. We are a work in progress and the team is not 100 percent.”

She also added that Alexa Wintersteen should be returning from her concussion for their next game on Nov. 15 vs. Lehigh Carbon at home.

As always, students are encouraged to come out and show their support for the Lady Centurions.