Feeling stressed? Try some free yoga.

Feeling stressed? Try some free yoga.

Bucks is offering a free drop-in yoga class in the wellness center for all students, staff and alumni on Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Tina Permar, the Health and Fitness Coordinator says that she started the class “because I felt a need for it. I started teaching it in the fall because there was a class in the wellness center and I still wanted something available for people and started to pick up.”

After the first class, people began to attend in higher numbers.

“I started the class again after spring break because I noticed that from 3 to 4 p.m. I would only have a few people come in, either one or two, or even none. So I asked my boss if I can start the class up again and she said yes,” explained Permar.

“On the first day, I had 7 people each class and by this Monday, I had 12,” said Permar. “To have access to 12 people to help with their health, wellness and their spirituality is really amazing to me.”

Permar, who has her M.A. in women’s studies and B.A. in exercise science, says that yoga has many added benefits besides just exercise, “it helps clear your mind and relax. The standard Bucks student has so many stressors on them, there is school, homework, work and family. To take time to just focus and calm their mind and de-stress is important. People are so inundated with twitter, facebook, Tumblr, and the internet. It’s really good for people to disengage and just relax.”

One thing Permar cannot stress enough is who’s able to join her class, “Anyone can do it, and this isn’t power yoga. You can be amazed by your body if you just allow it to see what it can do. Don’t worry if you forget your mat, we have mats, just drop in.”

In order to take advantage of this free, yoga drop-in course, you have to have at least 30 credits and get a key form from the front desk of the Wellness Center.