Open Door Club to host LGBT prom

Within a couple of weeks, students from Bucks will be hitting the books and studying away as they prepare for finals. But on the night of Friday, May 9, there’s one event where students can have fun and enjoy themselves and that’s the LGBT Prom.

This annual event is hosted by the Open Door Club and has grown into a popular annual event. In a time where high schools across the country are hosting proms, Bucks will be doing the same but in a different way.

The Open Door Club focuses on the support of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered students. The club supports awareness and education of their issues and helps create an environment of mutual respect and celebrates the diversity of all people.

“This is the fourth year that we’ll be hosting this dance,” says Open Door Club president Danielle Taylor, 22, a psychology major. “It is a join joint effort between our members.”

Why hold a prom? Taylor said, “We are allowing people to go to prom with anyone they want, regardless of who they like. We are raising money for The Trevor Project, which is a non-profit organization to help people from the LGBT community.”

It’s great for Bucks to host an event such as this, since it gives students from the LGBT community a chance to go a prom with anyone they choose to have fun with.

Taylor added that “It’s at the Gallagher Room and starts at 7 p.m. ending at midnight. This year’s theme will be fantasy/fairy tale. Ticket’s prices are $10 at the door. Anyone can come but they must be 16 and older to enter and must have a valid ID. We will have food, photos and a contest determining the prom’s King and Queen and this year’s music will be provided by DJ Price.”