Security upgrades coming

After continued computer theft, Bucks is locking down open computer labs and installing a new surveillance system throughout Penn Hall.

It is not clear whether or not the college is planning on putting cameras in other campus buildings to prevent further theft.

According to Dennis McCauley, the director for campus security and safety, most of the thefts occurred during the fall semester of 2013, but there were a few in the summer semester of 2013, and one monitor during the current semester.

The thefts occurred in the 3rd floor computer labs. McCauley said, “We lost six computers from July through December.”

Other security measures are being taken apart from the cameras. According to McCauley, the computer labs used to be left unlocked for students to use when there wasn’t a class in session. Now, all of the labs are being kept locked between classes.

This security measure has become a nuisance for some students who used those labs in between classes.

Brittany McKinney, 18, a liberal arts major said “One of my classes used those labs once a week.”

McKinney had an hour between her classes. McKinney also said “I understand why they needed to lock them now, but I still wish I could use them between classes.”

McCauley said that at this point in the investigation, there is no motive for the theft. The items stolen include several desktop monitors and keyboards.

Michael Keetes, 21, a business major said, “I don’t understand people that would steal from the college. A lot of students use those computers so they are not just stealing from the college, they are stealing from all of the students as well.”

There is not much hope in recovering the stolen computers. According to McCauley, all the computers have a removable inventory tag that identifies them as college property.

According to McCauley, the Board of trustees approved of a budget in January 2014 of $27,500 for a security camera system to be set up in Penn Hall. The camera system is still in process of being installed. McCauley said he expects the system will be operational within the month.

None of the cameras are going to be installed in the classrooms, according to McCauley. They would be set up in the halls and stairwells. McCauley said, “It is generally felt that putting cameras in the classroom would be intrusive to the education process.”

The March 2014 Board of Trustees meeting noted that the fire systems and security upgrades would be a $650,000 project. Quite an undertaking, but worth it to protect the college’s assets.