New student parking ambassador

Terrell Green, 20, journalism major from Yardley the student parking ambassador

The Security and Safety department at Bucks launched a pilot program this semester called the “Student Parking Ambassador,” in an effort to raise awareness about where students and visitors can park, obtain a parking permit, and help with directions around campus.

During the weekday, the student parking ambassador is stationed in the student parking lot. Flyers are handed out to cars that are parked in the wrong area or that don’t have a parking permit, instead of tickets.

Many students with larger vehicles sometimes park in the “compact car” lots where their access is actually prohibited. The job is to notify students where they can and cannot park by distributing flyers.

Terrell Green, 20, journalism major from Yardley, was the guinea pig for the new program. Terrell’s sister who has worked in the Bucks Security office as part of a work study encouraged him to apply because they were great people to work with.

Dennis McCauley, director of Security and Safety at Bucks, could not stress enough how grateful he is for Terrell’s excellent work in the program this semester and the impact it’s had on student life because of his contribution.

“This program increases student compliance and makes things run smoother,” said McCauley.

“He’s an ambassador, connecting with students out there and providing his service.”

To help prepare Terrell for the position Bucks security toured the campus with him.

“The tour was very helpful, it showed me places and areas around campus that I wouldn’t of known about or thought were useful that became helpful for the job,” said Terrell.

“A lot of visitors ask for directions to buildings across campus and where they need to go for their visit, which parking lots they can use, and where they can and cannot park,” said Terrell.

Terrell comes to work and puts on a yellow traffic vest, his Bucks identification card and carries a radio to connect with security and safety officers.

“His job is to walk around and provide assistance,” said McCauley.

“Terrell is handing out flyers and giving directions, he’s not writing tickets.”

The student ambassador simply provides a lighter service to inform students how easy it is to obtain a parking permit or where they can park.

Because of the success this spring, the program will be back again in the fall semester. Students who qualify for work-study can apply for the position through the financial aid office.  Security and Safety will be contacted about those who want to apply.