Radio BUX launches fresh shows while exponentially growing in members

Carly Pendergast

Since its launch on Aug. 26, Radio BUX has been growing rapidly with the addition of new members and new shows.
Radio BUX now features a total of 12 talk and music shows that air over the course of the entire week and approximately 25 active members.
The new schedule has the station starting out with a show called “Breakfast at Bucks.” Hosted by Keith Maliszewski and Jaci Griffin, the show runs from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m., Monday through Friday. The show covers the usual morning show topics, including traffic, weather, local and current events, college announcements, and community news.
The show also has a segment on what Griffin calls “weird crime.” Along with all of these topics, the show has an open door policy, and welcomes anyone who would want to stop in or call in and have some air time for any sort of announcement they may want to make.
After the morning show on Mondays is a segment called “Shenanigans,” a music based show that plays mostly rock music. Host Don Felder also takes listeners’ requests during this 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. block.
After that show on Monday “Brain Loop airs,” from 2 p.m until 4 p.m. This show features electronic music and live DJ’ing on the air. In contrast, the following show, from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m is “Metal Monday.” This is primarily a music block, featuring, not surprisingly, metal music. This is the final show on Mondays.
Tuesdays, after “Breakfast at Bucks,” from 11 a.m until 1 p.m is “R&B Meets Hip-Hop,” featuring just that sort of music.
“On Tuesdays, from 1 to 3 p.m we have what’s called the Working Title Movie Show,” says Radio BUX club president, Benjamin Woodring.
This show is hosted by Kyle Yeingst. “His show is anything to do with movies. Old movies. Current events with movies.”
Filling the 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. block is a show called “Now, Here, This”, which is a music show focused mainly on Jazz and hosted by Harris Moriarty. “The War Room Philly” show is still going strong during its 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. block on Tuesday afternoons.
Wednesdays feature a segment from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. called “Let There Be House.” Hosted by Tyler Kelch, this show features live DJ’ing and music mixing on air. Kelch also DJ’ed at Bucks’ Halloween party that was hosted on Oct. 29.
In the hour block after Kelch’s show, there is “Tunes With Brit”, a music show that “mostly hits on alternative stuff” according to Woodring. For two hours after that show, Radio BUX features even more live DJ’ing and some rap and hip-hop on the show “Live Life Radio.”
On Thursdays, from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. is “Alternative fix,” featuring yet more alternative music and hosted by Casey Borsilli. “The War Room Philly” show has its second block from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday afternoons as well.
Currently, there are three shows on Fridays, including old shows and new additions. “Ennui with Andy” is still airing in its allotted time of Fridays and Wednesday between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The Centurion now actually has its own show on Radio BUX where they discuss various news related topics. This show is hosted by Justin Bifolco and airs from 1 p.m. until 2 p.m.
For the three-hour block after the Centurion’s show, there are “Fantasy Fridays.”
This show, hosted by Evan Cheney and Chris Bulik, focuses mainly on fantasy football and other fantasy sports leagues.
“If you have a question…we’ll give you the advice on what you should do if you want to make money, or something like that,” explains Cheney, “But we’re also trying to branch out to other stuff, so we’re not just a one trick pony.”
Cheney went on to say that “We want people to listen to us, and know that we’ll address their topics first. We’re very interactive.”
The hosts of this, and most of the other shows encourage their listeners to call in or send in texts to the station at their number, 267-705-5BUX (5289).
Along with their growing array of shows, Radio BUX has also held a few events since their start up.
On Wednesday, Oct. 21, in honor of the Back to the Future movies, the station held a Geek Day giveaway where they gifted out a blu-ray box set of all the Back to the Future movies.
Friday, Oct. 2 was also College Radio Day, and the station hosted an event in the Gallager room where they sold baked goods and records. Woodring reported a decent turn out to this event.
The biggest event that Radio BUX has been involved with recently was their Extra Life Fundraiser. This was a 24-hour live stream of club president, Woodring, facing off against Youtuber, SomeCallMeJohnny, and working their way through various “Sonic” games all in the name of charity.
Gamers all over the world participated in the Extra Life foundation’s game day to raise money for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. On the day of the event alone, Radio BUX raised over $6,300.
Donations are still open on their website, Radiobux.co/extralife. Considering that their goal was $2,000, the members of Radio BUX considered this event to be a huge success.
Radio BUX was also very excited about their first live concert. On Saturday, Nov. 21, at 7 p.m, local bands Civil Youth, Damage Control, and Alexa Korogodsky performed in the performing arts center on Newtown campus.
Since its start up, Radio BUX has grown exponentially, tripling their member count and adding new shows all the time.
They are still as eager as ever for new members, and are especially interested in people who are willing to work publicity, producing, or provide voice acting.
With all their success, Radio BUX reminds their audience that they are always willing to DJ local events and air announcements for those who ask. Tune in to Radio BUX for some great, varied, and ever-growing shows.