Bucks mascot celebrates first birthday

Brutus and friends

Students and faculty gathered for the birthday celebration of Brutus the Bucks mascot who turned 1 on Feb 16.

The day consisted of many games and cupcakes like a regular birthday party. The event was from 12:30p.m.-1:30p.m. Radio Bux assisted to liven up festivities with music and a warm introduction to the birthday boy, Brutus.

At 12:30p.m. the games began. First began the game “pin the sword” where a player has to place the sword on the correct fit on a picture of Brutus.

This accompanied many other games such as “Suck it Up”, “Defy Gravity”, “Cookie Face”, and the raffle that proceeded at the end.

By 12:35p.m. the audience sang “Happy Birthday” to Brutus as he took the stage. After this there was a dynamic limbo contest. Students and participants tried to get as low as they could while Brutus cheered them on.

Many were excited to have their pictures taken with Brutus so many took the opportunity to do so.

The reason why student life, one including Brandon Kinsey, 29, Specialized Support, Student Life & Athletics department, Upper Back Eddy, PA, wanted to hold the Birthday Celebration event was for many reasons.

One included that it was a full year which marked the aniversay of the unveiling of the new mascot on Feb. 16, 2016.

Another reason was to provide students and staff another campus event to provide some fun and excitement during a dreary and cold month.

The event was sparked by an event Temple University was having for their mascot (Hooter) in which they were going to celebrate his birthday at a Men’s Basketball game.

From there the idea grew into holding an event for students and staff and celebrating the 1 year anniversary of Brutus’ unveiling. We plan on this event becoming an annual occurrence.

When Kinsey was asked as to why Bucks needed a mascot, he stated, “Having a mascot provides much more opportunities as opposed to not having one. So far Brutus has added a different element to each and every event he has been a part of. Having him is an excellent recruiting tool as well. He adds to the overall campus experience as mascots are a college campus tradition.”

Many people are now becoming aware of the Bucks mascot and brings the college unity as a community. So far, he has been a part of Student Life, Athletic, Admissions, Alumni and major college events and unveilings. He is becoming a staple at yearly events here on campus.

When looking into the design of Brutus’ costume it is quite unique. The costume took roughly 6 months to make and it was designed by a contact of Kinsey who also designed Northampton Community College’s Sam the Spartan.

As for what Kinsey looks for in a student to be Brutus, he states, “. Overall you have to be playful and enjoy being a little outgoing while in the costume.” He wants someone who can bring Brutus to life and interact with everyone.

From student and staff, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Students and staff see him as a large presence at the college and adds an element of excitement whenever he comes around.

Brutus is not going anywhere, his upcoming events include, The Foundations Breakfast, Admissions Open House, Spring Fling and Accepted Student’s Day to name a few.

Brutus seems to pack a large presence wherever he goes. This may have been his first birthday, but there are any more to come.