Don Tollefson is more than a broadcaster

Some memories remain strong long after others have faded. For sportscaster Don Tollefson there is one memory in particular that stands out.
It was during the 1975 Special Olympics, when a foot race occurred with an unforgettable ending.
Toward the conclusion of the race, one of the participants fell down because he could not run very well. Another racer saw the boy down and went back, helped him up, and walked him to the finish line.
This is the ultimate sporting event memory for Tollefson. “After covering pro and college events, nothing could ever top that,” he said.
For Tollefson, through many years of  covering sports, this was a story that captured the true meaning of what sports should be.
Tollefson, who lives in Wynnewood  with his wife and 2-year old daughter, Gabriella Laura, has covered many sporting events over the years. He started working for ABC Sports in 1975 after graduating from Stanford University, where he covered college football. In 1995, Tollefson went to Fox 29. He left Fox and currently does some work for 97.5 The Fanatic/950 ESPN radio.
Since the time Tollefson left Fox, he has been in front of the camera hosting various television shows including “Eagles Game Day Live” and “The Ray Rhodes Show.”
“I am a very outgoing, sociable person so I would prefer to be in front of the camera than behind the scenes,” Tollefson said.
In his time off between working at ABC and Fox, Tollefson wanted to give back to the Philadelphia community. “Philadelphia has, by far, the most knowledgeable and passionate sports fans in the country,” he said.
Tollefson founded a charity in 1990, named One Child Saved Foundation or Winning Ways, which encourages underprivileged children in the Delaware Valley to live life in a positive way.
Through the foundation, athletes and entertainers alike encourage young people to stay away from drugs and out of trouble.
This is an extraordinary program that allows children to be open to opportunities that  they otherwise would never get. There are trips that allow the children to go to different cities and sporting events all over the country.
On Superbowl Sunday, Tollefson took kids from his program to Indianapolis for a breathtaking experience. The kids were able to sit in Lucas Oil Stadium and watch the Super Bowl live.
“We have a group of wonderful, fantastic kids that take each event for what it is worth and truly appreciate these experiences,” Tollefson said.
Dante, 16, who is one of the children from this foundation, recalled some amazing memories. “I got to go to Indianapolis before and we had an entire restaurant closed so we could eat and have the place to ourselves before a game. I also met Jason Avant and the Eagles cheerleaders and other pro athletes.”
Tollefson’s efforts have certainly made a huge impact on these children. Not only does he do work for younger kids, but he also helps young adults who are interested in getting into a career in sports. He allows young adults to see first-hand what it takes to be in that field.
I went to Lower Merion High School to meet Tollefson while they were having a boys’ high school basketball tournament in the Kobe Bryant Gymnasium. He pulled out of his briefcase some 50 odd pages, which he explained, were the pre-game notes for the last Eagles game of the regular season against the Washington Redskins. “They give us way more information than any of us could want or need,” he said.
At the high school, there was a silent auction on amazing sports memorabilia consisting of a Pat Burrell autographed baseball, an all-expenses paid trip to the first Eagles game of the 2012-13 season, and trips to Phillies spring training games. All of the proceeds from the auction went back into Tollefson’s foundation to help these underprivileged kids.
To find out more about One Child Saved/Winning Ways,  visit their website at www.employyoungadults.com.