Centurion wins 12 Keystone Press Awards

The Centurion won five first place awards, four-second place awards and three honorable mentions at the 2014 Student Keystone Press Awards in the 2-year college division, beating out all other competitors.

The Keystone Press Awards are a statewide competition. Bucks went up against HACC/ Lancaster Campus, HACC/Harrisburg Campus, Montgomery County Community College and Community College of Philadelphia.

Bucks’ first place awards were for general news, public service/enterprise package, feature photo, layout and design and best website.

Kelly Armstrong, co-editor in chief, said, “Hard work is all there really is to it. I was given the opportunity to get involved with the newspaper and I feel like all my hard work was really rewarded in the end.”

Brian Kelley won first place in the general news category for covering a bomb scare on campus. Sydney Tasey won second place for writing about a former Bucks student who was the first to legally wed in New Jersey under the same-sex marriage law. ‘The Lies of our Parents” public service package was authored by Anthony Dimattia, Luther Anderson, Kelly Armstrong, and Robert Knuckles, and took first place. Co-editor in chief Erich Martin took second for his story covering the controversy surrounding the portable classrooms at the Newtown campus.

Bucks, being a two-year college, must constantly find new writers to take the place of students who are transferring.

These challenges never seem too big for the constantly morphing Centurion staff. In 2013 the Centurion won 12 awards, 12 again in 2012, 11 in 2011, and 13 in 2010.

The Keystone Press Awards luncheon was held at the Hershey Lodge this year. Co-editor in chief Armstrong, managing editor Tim Zenno and sports reporter Kelly were in attendance.

“There were newspapers from four year colleges, two year colleges and even high schools,” Zenno said of the Hershey Park Award ceremony. “I even got to try some chocolate ketchup. It was a good time.”

The Centurion staff is very proud and intends to keep up the hard work.

“We are hoping that the new students coming in next semester will pick up the reins after we wean ourselves out of the program,” Zenno said. “We are looking for hard-working students in the fall that want to, hopefully, become an editor and take over the newspaper.”

“I hope my schedule will be less hectic next semester with editing,” Armstrong added. “I really miss writing and want to improve… I hope that I have more time to do that next semester, and maybe even attend the Keystone Awards again.”

Armstrong said the best thing about working for the Centurion was “being a part of something that so many students and professors get to read and enjoy.”