Bucks is set to celebrate its 50th anniversary

Viewing the early plans for the college

Bucks is turning 50 this year, and in celebration of its golden anniversary kicking off at commencement in May, several events will be take place throughout the year, including the groundbreaking of a new science building and a commissioned art premier gala.

Dr. Stephanie Shanblatt, president of Bucks, will kick-off the 50th anniversary at the commencement ceremony on May 22.  A planning committee made up of 16 students, faculty, staff and retirees have developed an array of activities and events that will take place across the college during the 2014-2015 academic year.

Bucks, which was founded in 1964, started out with just 22 faculty members and 730 students.  Classes were held in just a single building, Tyler Hall, and “the first graduating class had 121 graduating students,” said Marta Kaufmann, director of marketing and public relations.

The school has since expanded several times over the years with the addition of new buildings on its main campus, two additional campuses, a virtual campus offering online learning, and two public safety training centers.

According to the Bucks website, “The college serves nearly 10,000 credit-seeking students and more than 70,000 students in noncredit programs each year.”

Furthering Bucks’ expansion and adding to the celebratory spirit, construction of the new science building will begin with its groundbreaking in June.

According to Lisa Angelo, assistant academic dean of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), the new building will feature state-of-the-art science laboratories.  She also said the design and interior is expected to be innovative and inviting to students.

“It so important that the facilities in which students work and learn be inviting and conducive to learning.  Faculty from the areas that will be housed in the addition have participated in the planning process with the building and lab consultants and are very happy with what we expect to be a beautiful lab building that exhibits science,” said Angelo.

Overall, the entire STEM department should benefit from the addition.  According to Angelo, once the chemistry, biology, biotechnology, geology, ecology, and neuroscience labs are relocated to the new building, remaining disciplines, such as engineering and mathematics, will gain additional space in Founders Hall.

“Our engineering area, in particular, has lots of plans but needs space for equipment and projects,” said Angelo.

Enrollment in STEM has increased 12 percent overall in the past five years, according to the June 13, 2013 Board of Trustee meeting minutes.  This increase in has led to the development of new programs, such as applied engineering, biotechnology and neuroscience.

Another key event marking the 50th anniversary celebration will be the commissioned art premier gala which will be held on Oct. 11.

The gala will begin with a concert in the Gateway Auditorium, featuring music composed and performed by Jeff Baumeister, associate professor of arts and music.  Baumeister, accompanied by other musicians, will perform a jazz suite celebrating the history of the music program at Bucks, called check AP stylebook for titles. Portraits from the Pub.

Following the concert will be the unveiling of commissioned art work by Mark Sfirri, professor of arts and visual arts; Barbara Korb, professor of computer science; and Ann Geddes, administrative assistant of the STEM department.  The College sponsored a competition whose winners received funding to create an original work of art commemorating the event.

Sfirri’s commissioned piece is called Building Blocks Totem, a 12-foot tall sculpture in totem form that has been lathe-turned and carved.

Sfirri describes his interpretation as more of an abstract commemoration.  “The ‘melon’ shapes that are stacked up on one another can be viewed as building blocks of knowledge and that is the key function that we have at Bucks, to impart knowledge.  This is something that begins before a student comes to Bucks, continues at Bucks, and hopefully continues for a lifetime.”

Korb and Geddes are collaborating on a project called check AP stylebook for titles. Perspectives of the Cooper Homestead which features a fabric quilt and collage prints. The project was inspired by the Cooper Homestead building on the Newtown campus currently known as the Faculty Center.  This structure is one of the original buildings of the Tyler Estate.

“We chose the Cooper Homestead because it is the center of the college and represents the artistic background of Mrs. Tyler, as it was her studio, and it also represents the history of the college,” said Korb.

In addition, a series of faculty lectures is also being developed.  “It will be an opportunity to showcase faculty excellence,” said Kaufmann.

Many other activities and displays are being developed to further celebrate the anniversary: a community day, food drive competition, a service wall exhibiting 50 points of service by staff and students, and custom commemorative Mercer tiles which will be for sale.

For those looking to leave their mark, Kaufmann encourages students and alumni to contribute to the anniversary guestbook which will be launched online following the kick-off.  “One of the many ways students can participate is to submit their stories and photos on the guestbook and webpage.”

“We want to get students thinking about that Bucks means to them,” said Kaufmann.

Kaufmann also emphasized that the committee is looking for volunteers interested in helping or even taking the lead with any of the activities they have planned.

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Marta Kaufman at [email protected].