Guilty of third degree murder

Picasa
The courthouse in Doylestown.

Joseph Romano, 21, expressed his remorse in open court, as he pleaded guilty to third degree murder for the stabbing death of his close friend Jacob Simmers, 19, back in late March.

During the proceedings, Romano asked for the court’s permission to address Simmer’s family and friends, who were among the approximately 40 people in attendance that morning

“I just wanted to apologize to all of Jacob’s family,” Romano began.

“Jacob was one of my greatest friends. He was loved by many, including myself,” said Romano.

He went on to say that he knows many will judge him for what he did. “But there’s no one that judges me more than myself every day,” Romano said.

Romano made one final plea, as he choked back tears, saying, “I hope one day you can forgive me, not for me, but because I don’t want any of you to suffer anymore.”

Romano’s family stood solemnly as he was escorted out of the courtroom.

“We want him to know that we’re still standing by him,” said Martin Brown, Romano’s uncle.

“Joe was always just a really nice kid,” Brown said.

“I would’ve never in my wildest dreams imagined something like this.”

Judge Clyde W. Waite resided over the proceedings held on Nov. 17, where Romano entered an open guilty plea to charges of third degree murder, along with all other charges related to the attack that took place in the early morning hours of March 30, resulting in the death of Simmers.

Romano’s defense attorney, Steven Fairlie, told the judge that, in hoping to expedite the process, they have requested to waive the right to a pre-sentence investigation.

Waite accepted the plea, and deferred sentencing to Dec. 15.

Romano could face up to a maximum of 47 years and 1 month in prison for the charge of third degree murder.

Under sentencing guidelines, the shortest sentence Romano could receive is 23 years and 7 months.

In addition, Romano pleaded guilty to possession of an instrument of a crime, simple assault, possession of marijuana, and use and possession of drug paraphernalia.

According to police reports, on March 30 at approximately 2:30 a.m., police responded to Romano’s home on the 1100 block of Kasmir Ave. in Bensalem Township, for the report of a stabbing.

Police arrived to find Simmers deceased from an apparent stab wound to the chest and abdomen area. Romano, who was at the residence, was arrested without incident.

Police also found blood by the front door, as well as small amounts of marijuana.

In an interview conducted by Bensalem detectives on March 30, Romano said that his friend Simmers came to his house that night to help him, but that he wanted Simmers to leave.

He described to police how he grabbed Simmers and dragged him into the kitchen, where he grabbed a black-handled kitchen knife and stabbed Simmers at least two times.

In court, the defense presented testimony regarding Romano’s state of intoxication at the time of the attack, in order to reduce the murder charge to third degree murder by establishing lack of intent.

Fairlie said that Romano had been taking mushrooms prior to the attack, which caused hallucinations.

“Through the blood tests taken later it was clear that he was under the influence of mushrooms.”

Fairlie asked, “In this particular case, you were hallucinating about demons, is that correct?”

“Yes,” said Romano.

“He thought he was being attacked by demons, and the witness said he was yelling about Jacob being a demon,” Fairlie said.

“The real fault in this case is the taking of drugs, which resulted in [Romano] losing control of his faculties.”

Fairlie added, “Jacob Simmers was a hero, who went there to help Joe, and Joe knows that better than anybody.”