Journalism forum focuses on careers

Journalism forum focuses on careers

This year’s upcoming journalism forum at Bucks will give students the opportunity to learn the business inside and out from professionals currently working in the field.

The 16th Annual Journalism Forum, presented by Bucks’ journalism program and the Centurion student newspaper, will be held on Tuesday, April 21 at the Newtown campus.

The forum consist of two sessions, held in Rollins 127, each with professionals talking about a different aspect of journalism and the skills necessary for students pursuing or considering a career in journalism or related fields.

“I think it’s great for people who are seriously thinking about becoming a journalist,” said Tony Rogers, a journalism professor at Bucks.

But he also noted that it’s not just for people who want to write for a news publication. “There’s a public relations person, and a media relations and publications coordinator, so this forum is hitting all of those related fields, not just journalism,” Rogers said.

The first session, called “Building Careers in Journalism and Related Fields,” takes place from 8 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and will feature four speakers. Each will discuss their experience in their field, what they did while in school to help boost their career, and how they became accomplished in the field of media.

Patricia S. Walker, who has over 40 years of experience in journalism, will be there to share with students how she worked her way up to becoming the executive editor of Calkins Media Inc.’s three suburban Philadelphia newspapers, their websites, and their video operations.

Annmarie Ely, a former journalism student at Bucks, will discuss her experience as Delaware Valley College’s media relations and publications coordinator, and managing editor of the Delaware Valley College alumni magazine.

The first session will also feature Tom Sofield, co-founder of the news website, LevittownNow.com, and former Bucks student. Sofield worked for The Courier before branching out to start his own website.

Students will also hear from Sarah Larson, who worked in the journalism field for 18 years before making the switch to public relations. She worked at print newspapers and then switched to online, and ran the Doylestown Patch. In 2013, Larson started working at Furia Rubel Communications where she is now vice-president of public relations.

For those more interested in learning what technological skills should be developed as a prospective journalist, the second session, called “Which Tech Skills do Journalists Need Now?” will be held from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and features speakers who have experience producing digital content.

As the journalism business evolves, it is necessary for students who intend to be in the field to evolve with it.

“The more versatile you are, the more it’s going to help, because everything is going digital and high-tech,” said Rogers.

Matt Flowers, an online digital producer for The Courier-Post newspaper in New Jersey and former Bucks journalism student, will be the opening speaker at this session.

Students will also hear from Jared Finkle, the digital news producer for Calkins Media and a recent Penn State graduate. Finkel produces news shows for The Bucks County Courier Times, The Intelligencer, and Burlington County Times.

Sofield will also be speaking in this half of the forum about his experience building a website and producing digital content.

After each session there will be an opportunity for students to participate in a Q&A session.

“The fact that they’re part of these forums gives students a chance to hear what it’s like out in the field,” said Rogers.

You do not have to be a journalism student to attend the forum, so if you are thinking about a career in any of these fields the forum is a great place to listen to and question successful professionals.

For more information about the forum contact Rogers at [email protected] or stop by Rollins 127.