Radio Bux’s new electronic inspired radio show

The Bucks student run radio station, Radio Bux, has a new show highlighting eclectic underground electronic music. A genre usually forgotten, but loved by many loyal followers, it is a refreshing take on a radio station.

Radio Bux’s new radio performer and DJ, named Mason, is the creative genius behind the new show, unofficially named BrainLoop.

The show airs weekly on Thursdays from 2-4 p.m. and plays a wide variety of experimental, underground electronic music. Anyone with Internet access can listen in by going to Mixlr.com/radiobux.

Mason, a 26-year-old undecided major has an interest in film studies, enjoys sharing a love for music with others and finds Radio Bux to be a great way to get the music of up and coming artists heard.

A thoughtful and intriguing individual, Mason’s own stylistic tastes and personal characteristics mix to create a show that is definitely worth tuning into.

Along with experimental electronic music groups such as Aphex Twin, Burial and DJ Sprinkles, Mason plans to mix in a variety of other musical genres including indie rock, jazz, R&B, hip-hop and noise into their future BrainLoop shows.

BrainLoop is not Mason’s first experience with Bucks’ radio station.  As a student three years ago, Mason performed a show to raise awareness for the infamous Japanese earthquake and tsunami of 2011 that claimed the lives of over 18,000 civilians, and whose aftereffects still negatively impact the world today, according to Becky Oskin of “Livescience,” a web-based journal.

During that first show, Mason played a set of “cool Japanese music” stemming from a variety of genres and backgrounds to highlight Japanese culture.

Currently, Mason chooses the show’s set lists based on current interest and personal preference, saying, “The equipment here is not too difficult, I just play music from my laptop that I find mostly on the internet… I have basic idea of how I want to start, then I play stuff at random.”

To chose music, Mason mostly focuses on music that “doesn’t follow a basic, traditional outline . . . there’s a lot of ways to make music.”

As a standard guideline for BrainLoop the music must be “weird” and interest Mason.

Mason wants other students to know that becoming part of Radio Bux and getting your own time slot is not difficult.  Radio Bux is open to any forum, from sports and talk to music radio.

Students can send an email to: [email protected] or just send the club a message via their Facebook page, titled Radio Bux.

The club holds meetings every Wednesday at noon in the Student Life Conference Room, so students should feel free to stop by. Also, students can stop by the studio in the Solarium on campus anytime. The current acting co-presidents are Benjamin Woodring and Ben Ry.

On April 30 Radio Bux is also DJing Bucks’ Spring Fling, to be held on the lawn behind the Linksz Pavilion, weather permitting. There will be free food, beverages, a volleyball net and tables set up for multiple clubs on campus.