BUX Fest is bringing local talent to the Newtown Campus

Christophe BOISSON
A circus vintage poster for your advertising

BUX Fest is being held at the Linksz Pavilion at Bucks’ Newtown Campus on Saturday, April 23rd.
The free music festival will span most of Saturday afternoon and evening, beginning at 12p.m. and concluding at 7p.m.,it is the first of its kind to hit Bucks since the 70’s.
The fest, being hosted by Radio Bux, that is headlined by Swift Technique will also feature performances by Last Minute Hero, Fool Me Once, Dirty Purple, Donald Schuler, Jr., Wabi Sabi feat. Kidd Funkadelic, Tiny Giants Club, The Walldos, and Voila.
Complete with food trucks, games and other activities, BUX Fest will be an opportunity for all students, alum, and members of the community to enjoy a full day of music, food and games.
“[We’re looking to] create an outlet for the community to enjoy the talent of Bucks County Community College students and alumni.” John Sheridan, Radio Bux club advisor says.
Donald Schuler Jr., who is performing, describes his music as “lean crisp mainstream Hip-Hop and R&B.”
“I am excited to perform for Bux Fest 2016. I went to Bucks from 2008-2009 and I was employed by Bucks this time last year. It’s an honor to perform on my old stomping grounds and I look forward to rocking the house!” Schuler said.
Damon Hunnicutt of Wabi Sabi also showed great excitement for the upcoming BUX Fest.
“Everyone in the band is really excited to have the opportunity to perform at BUX Fest 2016! Wabi Sabi has been inactive for the past three years so we have been hard at work in rehearsals the past month reacquainting ourselves with each other, musically speaking.”
Hunnicutt describes the music Wabi Sabi plays and even discusses some of the special guests they will be bringing on stage,” Everything that we do we try to keep funky! We have some special guests performing with us at BUX Fest. We have Michael “Kid Funkadelic” Hampton from Parliament Funkadelic fame and the very talented Chelsea Via Cava from the event’s headliner Swift Technique.”
The list of games is endless, everything from bottle ring toss, to cornhole, and even a temporary tattoo station!
Benjamin Woodring the General Manager for BUX fest talks about his responsibilities,” In this role I am interfacing with administration to make sure everything behind the scenes is in place. I am interfacing with the musicians to make sure they have everything they need. And I’m making sure all of our teams in general have everything they need to be set up for success.”
Ultimately the goal for BUX Fest is for everyone to have a good time and enjoy local musicians but the radio team hope to succeed with the first BUX Fest, “What we are looking to achieve with BUX Fest 2016 is to make a big splash of music on campus. I’ve heard plenty of stories from faculty and alumni about how BCCC used to have concerts all the time for all different types of genres and how it’s faded away over the years. So we are ultimately trying to make BCCC a place for local musicians to have an audience which is achieved with events such as this.” Woodring explains.
There are high hopes for at least a couple hundred people to show up to the festival, but in reality the attendance doesn’t matter much since it’s the first try, but hopefully this won’t be the last BUX Fest.
Woodring agrees, “Attendance isn’t paramount in this situation because Radio BUX, and Clubs and Organizations at BCCC in general, have a very difficult time getting the word out to the right people. We have exhausted our resources advertising through all possible mediums so we are going into this event knowing we got the word out to as many people as we reasonably could. If the people who attend the event ultimately enjoy the event it opens up the gates for us to have more concerts on campus, and the possibility for BUX Fest 2017.”
The quad can hold hundreds of people, so bucks students are encouraged to bring their friends, family, anyone that is a music lover that wants to soak up the sun on a spring afternoon and help support Bucks and the Bucks County community as a whole.