Archie Comics Makes A Comeback with Riverdale

The Archie Comics, a famous comic book series that began in 1941, have made their way to the television screen in the hit teen drama “Riverdale”, currently airing on Thursdays on The CW.
The comics were originally created by MLJ Publications’ John L. Goldwater, who was inspired by the “Andy Hardy” movies and came up with a vision of a comic about a normal, relatable teen.
The “Archie Comics” center around protagonist Archie Andrews, and follows the adventure of him and his friends as they deal with the daily troubles of high school drama and the inevitable young love romance.
In less than ten years, the comics became the headliner series for the publication, which drove the company to change its publishing name to “Archie Comic Publications.”
This book series became relatable very quickly, and spoke of deep topics that young readers could resonate with.
Kevin Keller, a reoccurring character in the comics and the television series, was the first openly gay comic book character to appear in the publication.
This gave certain readers a character to look up to and identify with, and it allowed them to feel accepted by and represented by the series.
Kevin and the rest of the characters, can now be seen on “Riverdale,” where 75 years of laughter and excitement come to life on screen.
“Riverdale” is an adaptation of the series that puts a dark twist on the original light and comedic tone of the comics.
It aired for the first time in January 2017, and is about halfway through its first season.
The show’s plot is focuses on the mystery of the murder of Jason Blossom, a popular quarterback who disappeared suddenly and was soon found dead.
Archie, played by KJ Apa, tries to piece together the clues of what happened on the night of the murder alongside his friends.
Betty and Veronica, played by Lili Reinhart and Camila Mendez, are the breakout stars of the show. They bring a refreshing taste of unbreakable friendship, unlike their rivalry in the comics.
No need to worry, though: the infamous love triangle between Archie, Betty, and Veronica is still in full swoon in the television series.
The show, like the comics, is also heavily driven by music. Archie is in a constant struggle of balancing his passions between singing, investigating, and playing football.
“Josie and The Pussy Cats” a famous band from the comic series, also make their return, performing songs almost every week in the television series.
Some fans are disappointed in the changes production has made to the characters as they were portrayed in the comics. They feel that the writing should ring true to the stories told in the books.
However, it should be emphasized that this television show is just an adaptation, and although the setting and characters are the same, the producers have taken a different spin to reel in a new teen audience, like the other shows on The CW.
Thankfully for those who are unfamiliar with the comics, it is not necessary to know the characters’ backstories before watching the show.
To sum up, “Riverdale” is a brand-new tale with an abundance of new details and drama, making it easy to fall in love with for any viewer, whether you grew up with the comics or not.
The current trend to make old things new again seems to be popular within the media. It brings in new artistic perspectives on old stories, giving audiences of all ages something to enjoy.
If you want to become a part of this new entertainment movement, be sure to tune into “Riverdale” at 9 P.M. Thursday nights on The CW.