Bucks Promotes 15-Credit Program

Bucks started a program where they have been encouraging students to take 15 credits [five classes] instead of 12 credits [four classes] each semester hoping that, it will allow them to graduate faster.

Jody L. Seutter, the director of advising and transfer center at Bucks was able to give his input on the “15 Credit Plan.” When asked what this plan exactly is, Seutter replied, “one of the primary conclusions of this research is that students are more likely to graduate on time and either transfer to a four-year institution or enter the workforce if they take 30 credits a year. Students who take 30 credits per year are also more likely to both earn good grades and save money in the process.” On the other hand, Seutter also plans to encourage students to start taking 15 credits instead of 12 each semester, “flexible online and hybrid courses are offered in a variety of areas. Many courses are also offered in accelerated formats that provide added flexibility. Courses are even offered during both the summer and winter sessions to give students even more options.”

However, there are some problems when it comes to Bucks students wanting to take 12 credits instead of 15. Leeann Talbert, 18, a social work major living in Levittown, finds little time to study while juggling work and school. “I work 20 hours a week, taking five classes, making it hard to find time to study.”

John Durison, 23, who is an undeclared student at Bucks living in Doylestown, has his hands full with classes that contain a heavy workload. “It depends on your major, I find it easier to mix up classes with electives. Time management is also key.” Another factor that arises is when students take too long to graduate. “They could get tired of taking the classes, it’s financially taxing. The sooner you get your bachelor’s degree the sooner you can begin the next step in life.”

On the other hand, Ariel Navarro, 19 who lives in Yardley, majoring in pre aid health, agrees that juggling school and work is stressful. “It is extra hours for class, the more hours of school added to your week while you’re trying to make money is hard.” Navarro thought that there were many factors into students taking too long to graduate, “mainly the loss of determination can be a huge factor.”

Along the same lines, Andrew Krysztofiak, 19 who is in the Penn Study had many thoughts on why students are taking too long to graduate, and what the problems might be. “You will end up paying more, it will take longer to find a field of study or job. And you will be less likely to go to a four-year university, and less likely to finish with a career. You also might be more likely to be a dropout.”

In transition, Santiago Viloa, 19 who is studying chemical engineering living in Doylestown believes 12 credits is plenty for students. “Students barely get by taking 12 credits. It’s a lot of work, also it’s a lot more money to pay for the classes if you take 15 credits.”

Kelly Donohue, 18 is planning to major in early childhood development living in Holland is taking 12 credits during the fall semester and plans to take a summer classes so she is not overwhelmed with the workload. “I would rather have time to focus on four classes, than focus on five classes and do a poor job. If I was taking 15 credits I wouldn’t be able to put a full effort in.” In addition, Kelly gave her reasons of why it is taking students too long to graduate, “Some students give up, they start a degree then stop trying. And students will fail their classes.”