Bucks tuition increase hits students’ wallets

Bucks tuition increase hits students wallets

A 4.7 percent increase in tuition at Bucks was approved at a meeting last week by the Bucks Board of Trustees.

This increase is effective beginning the first summer session of 2005, starting May 23. For in-county residents, this increase is $4 per credit, putting the cost at $89 per credit, and another $3 per credit for the technology fee, up from $12. The costs for out-of-county and out-of-state residents will be adjusted correspondingly.

The Board of Trustees voted to increase tuition because they are uncertain about the amount of money they will receive from federal and state governments. Dr. James Linksz said the increases are necessary and that he would rather make small adjustments each year rather than a large increase every couple of years.

“It makes better financial sense, and it’s better for students,” he said.

Linksz wants to make sure students at Bucks get the education they pay for. He believes it is fairer to increase the tuition now rather than to have to suddenly cut programs, staff, and services later. He also wants students to be able to plan their budgets and classes accordingly.

Students will now have to decide the number of classes they take by the number that they can afford. It may also require small adjustments in their lives in order to afford their higher education.

These increases are a direct-effect of President Bush’s new budget plan, as well as Governor Rendell’s plan.

President Bush’s new budget plan seeks to dramatically cut funding for community colleges and many other programs. These cuts are in favor of moving the money to other programs, such as the No Child Left Behind program, which is now to include high schools as well as elementary schools.

Bush is also looking to increase Pell grants, but cut funding for Perkins loans. This is a direct adverse affect on Bucks, which gets about $170,000 a year from Perkins loans. This money goes directly to help students. It supplies the necessary money for career and occupational programs and technology funds. The money goes toward tutors, mentors, computers, and people to assist the students with computers.

Jim Schweizer, associate dean of career and technical programs, is not happy about Bush’s cuts. Schweizer said it’s “definitely going to hurt our students in occupational programs.”

Linksz just returned Wednesday from Washington D.C. where he and many other community college presidents were lobbying for senators and congressmen to not approve the plan. They need the money to help out handicapped students, support services, and students who need financial aid.

Linksz says that they will be requiring evidence of success. The college will have to show that they are putting the money to good use. “It’s easy to say, but difficult to describe.It’s not clear what success is.” said Linksz.

There are no standardized tests, so it is more difficult to compare.

Rendell’s plan, however, wants to increase funding for community colleges. Community college funding at the state level works differently, though. The state gives the college a certain amount of money per student enrolled at the college. Rendell’s goal is to have a fixed budget rather than give the school money based on this unpredictable number.

However, this plan is not without its complications. The number comes from many different calculations based on workforce development initiatives. They will give more money based on what programs students are enrolled in. The only problem is that no one is sure what the programs will be.

“We don’t exactly know what the effect will be,” Linksz said. It all depends on what programs are on the list. There will be small increases in some programs, but a decrease in others.

The main objective now is to minimize the negative effects that these cuts will cause and to manage the school so that the same quality staff, technology, and other programs will still be there.

Linksz will be holding an open meeting on March 3 at 12:30 p.m. in Founder’s Hall room 140 to answer any questions that people may have about the tuition increase. It is open to students, staff, and anyone else who would like to come.