Bands hold benefit concert in New Hope for sound engineer

The Lawsuits take the stage.

The music blared all night long at the Triumph Brewing Company of New Hope last Friday, but this time it just seemed a little bit more personal.  The brewery and restaurant packed the house with seven bands to show the community’s support for Triumph’s sound engineer, Jon Bross, who is recovering from a stroke he suffered April 29.

Despite a stormy night, the venue was packed with patrons and bands from all over the tri-state area.  Dallas Hosey, 25, of Lambertville, was taken aback by all the support.  “It’s all for a good cause.  We’re down here trying to raise money for an incredibly well respected and admired man.  It’s really sad what happened to him and it’s great to see everyone come out and rally behind him,” said Hosey.

The Mixxtape started the night off at 7 p.m., followed by the Levee Drivers, Dirty Dollhouse, Satellite Hearts, Bengal Gold, Precious Roy and The Lawsuits, who closed out the show at 1 a.m. While many customers just came out to show their support for Bross, they also were lucky enough to witness one heck of a show.

Throughout the night, the bands, patrons and Triumph staff raised money for Bross’s medical fund.  Donations were accepted at the door in lieu of a cover charge.

A raffle was offered from donations provided by local businesses, donation boxes were filled by patrons, and one band member donated $10 for every Bengal Gold IPA sold in the restaurant during a 15-minute span, a challenge enthusiastically embraced by a large portion of the patrons.  The bands auctioned off signed copies of their set lists and donated their performances and merchandise.

The Lawsuits’ manager, Bryan Schreck, 28, of New Hope, was impressed by the bands’ generosity.  “We had bands come out that Jon not only recorded but just did sound for here.  We had some bands that command a lot of money from different venues coming out here and just playing for free out of the goodness of their own heart.  Jon is such a good guy, though, so for us there was no question we were going to do anything possible to come and do this concert,” said Schreck.

Triumph’s General Manager, Paul Foglia, 30, felt the response deserved high praise.

“We were so thrilled by the amount of people that wanted to help our sound engineer and friend, Jon Bross.   To the bands who donated their time, talent and merchandise, to the numerous businesses that sent donation items for the raffle, to the community that rallied in support, and to the staff of Triumph for the donation of their time and money:  we cannot say ‘Thank you’ enough.  You took one of ours and made him part of your family.”

When it was all said and done the concert not only raised quite a bit of money for Bross’s medical fund, but also showed how much the Brewery and community rallied around him in support.