Eric Mintel Quartet Will Bring a Little Jazz to Bucks

The Eric Mintel Quartet will be performing at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 26 at the “A Jazz Holiday” concert in the Library Auditorium. Half of the quartet are Bucks’ very own instructors, Eric Mintel and Neil Wetzel.

The Eric Mintel Quartet has put together some new material for this year’s show. The Quartet will be performing their original music as well as live renditions of Vince Guaraldi’s “Charlie Brown’s Christmas.”

Also, performing at the concert with the Quartet will be Council Rock High School’s South Choir. They will be directed by Corey Axler.

The concert is a casual family event usually attracting more than 200 patrons.

“This is by far our most popular jazz event here at the college.” said Coordinator and Bucks Journalism Professor, Tony Rogers. “We have a lot of people who come every year.”

Rogers started the concert series as a way to bring jazz to the college. He also wanted to provide a jazz concert that students, as well as whole families, could afford to attend.

This will be third year for the holiday jazz concert and The Eric Mintel Quartet has performed every year. Mintel and Wetzel decided to teach “Talking Jazz” at the school because of their jazz history with Bucks.

Mintel hopes that the noncredit course will help to teach people “how to listen to jazz.” The course will focus on understanding the improvisation that jazz musicians do and the way jazz musicians think.

“A lot of people say ‘Hey when you do improv[isation], is that stuff all written down for you?’ and of course, no it isn’t.” said Mintel.

“Talking Jazz” will held on Tuesday nights from Nov. 1-Nov. 22. The class is scheduled from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The class is $40.

“I like to say that jazz is a celebration of the human spirit” said Mintel. He hopes after completing the course his students will have “more of an appreciation for what goes in to the art form.”

Students taking the “Talking Jazz” course will receive a free ticket to “A Jazz Holiday”. The concert will give Mintel’s students their first chance to see and hear a real jazz show after taking his course.

Mintel is a pianist and composer with several CDs to his credit. Mintel formed the quartet in 1993. Wetzel has been playing saxophone with the quartet for about six years.

“A Jazz Holiday” tickets are on sale now and are $13 for students, seniors, faculty and military personnel and $17 for the general public. The doors open at 7 p.m.

Tickets for the holiday show can be purchased online at www.ticketweb.com. For more information call 215-968-8165 or email [email protected]. You can also find more information about The Eric Mintel Quartet online at www.ericmintelquartet.com.