Golden Dragon Acrobats Return to Bucks

Golden Dragon Acrobats Return to Bucks

The world famous Golden Dragon Acrobats return to Bucks County Community College on Nov. 6, at 7:30 p.m. to dazzle audiences with ancient Chinese theatrical dancing, juggling, and vibrant costumes.

The Golden Dragon Acrobats 21 man troupe has performed in all 50 states and has done performances in 65 different countries around the world. For the past 28 years the acrobats have been touring the U.S. and preformed everywhere from the Brooklyn Academy of Music to the Seattle Children’s Festival bringing culture and art along with them.

In 2002 the acrobats preformed a show at Bucks and sold out the room. From Nov. 18 trough Jan. 1 the troupe will be performing at New York City’s New Victory Theatre.

Prices for the event are $7 for students, children, seniors, military personnel, and $10 for adults. The group hails from the Hebrei province of China and brings with it over 27 centuries of rich heritage and culture.

Chinese acrobats are viewed like opera singers and ballet dancers by those in the Far East. They combine traditional costumes with amazing acts of world renowned acrobatics and traditional dancing. Starting around 700B.C. in Imperial China, the art of Chinese acrobatics is the oldest form of folk art in world history.

The Golden Dragon Acrobats troupe is led by impresario Danny Chang and choreographer Angela Chang, who are both accepted as experts in their fields by art performance critics all over the world. The two of them hand pick the 21 performers in the acrobat troupe, many of which have been training for acrobatics since early childhood.

The troupe has received numerous awards boosting it to international recognition such as the Campus Activities Today’s Performers of the Year Award and seven National Association of Campus Activities (NACA) Entertainer of the Year Awards.

The Golden Dragon Acrobats performance will contribute to the fund raising by the Bucks Cultural Affairs Committee.

Some of the things you can expect to see if you plan to attend the show at the Library Auditorium of the Newtown campus are amazing acts of juggling of things that were common among peasants in Imperial China such as hats, bowls, plates, and several different farm tools. Also, the Acrobats will perform a traditional lion dance, much like the better known dragon dance that is commonly viewed during the Chinese New-year and other Chinese holidays. The grand finale will also include brave individuals climbing up a 30 ft. high tower of chairs.

Tickets are available at the Student Life Information Center (SLIC) which is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and is located in the lower level of the Rollins Center. Tickets are also available at http://www.bucks.edu/cultural, for group purchases please call the Office of Cultural and Community Programming at 215-968-8087.