50th anniversary art show

Bucks celebrated its 50th anniversary with a commissioned art premier that featured art and music inspired by the college’s very culturally-rooted history.

Dr. Stephanie Shanblatt, president of Bucks, welcomed the attendees who gathered in the Gateway Auditorium and the Linksz Pavilion on Oct. 11 to celebrate the many accomplishments of the college, praising the community for its support in fostering arts and culture.

“Our roots are in a county that welcomes artists and musicians,” said Shanblatt.

The festivities began with a modern jazz suite called, “Portraits from the Pub,” composed by Associate Music Professor Jeff Baumeister. The BC3 Jazz Tentet, featuring faculty and prominent local musicians, performed the seven original jazz songs, which Baumeister called a hidden tribute to Stella Tyler.

Following the concert, attention shifted over to the Linksz Pavilion for the art unveiling.

Dr. Clayton Railey introduced the artists, explaining that the featured artwork truly represented the spirit of the college.

Quilter Ann Geddes stood alongside professor Barbara Korb as she described the inspiration behind their “Cooper Homestead Collaboration.” This collaboration included a quilt by Geddes depicting the Cooper Homestead building and five collages by Korb portraying the historical building through the use hand-crafted paper.

Professor Mark Sfirri then presented his 12-foot tall lathe-turned and carved wood sculpture called, “Building Blocks,” he described as an abstract piece representing the building blocks of knowledge.

“Both works, each in their own way, speak to the potential in each individual for creative, critical, and beautiful interactions with the material world,” said Railey.

“We are very fortunate to have among us such artists who can realize this potential in such various media but with equally compelling expressions of beauty.”