It Can’t Happen Here – Or Can It? Bucks Actors’ NET Play a Cautionary Tale Against Fascist Rule

It Can’t Happen Here - Or Can It? Bucks Actors’ NET Play a Cautionary Tale Against Fascist Rule

Morrisville’s Actors’ NET whipped up a politically themed, thought-provoking production of “It Can’t Happen Here” played on every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from Oct. 13 to Oct. 29 with many Bucks students included in the cast.
This production, directed by Joe Doyle and Andrena Wishnie, was adapted from a 1935 cautionary tale of a populist strongman’s victory over Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1936 presidential election.
The demagogic politician, Senator Buzz Windrip, played by James Cordingley, is able to convince the public to support him in a campaign promising to return the United States to greatness and prosperity.
Most of the action is focused around liberal journalist Doremus Jessup, who stands against Windrip and criticizes the candidate’s actions through his news articles.
Through the play, Windrip starts taking more control over the public with a brownshirt-like private militia known as the “Minutemen,” and establishes concentration camps for those who speak out against his iron-fisted rule.
The play which took roughly five weeks to put together, included performances by several Bucks students, including Sean Costello, Katie Marra and Francesca Arco.
Sean Costello played the roles of Foolish the Dog and a Minuteman. Katie Marra acted as the character Jamie Johnson, as was also assistant stage manager. Francesca Arco was the stage manager of the play.
Sissy Jessup, the daughter of Doremus Jessup, was played by Jessica Mousley, who has worked at the Actors’ NET for several years now, both as an actor and a stage manager.
When asked how she connected with her character she said, “At first I wasn’t sure what to think of the character. She seemed like such a wild character based on the few scenes I read during auditions. After getting into rehearsal, I understood her more and now I really look up to her a lot.”
Jessica Mousley said her favorite part of the production was getting to know the cast. “It’s a blessing to feel so comfortable with your cast mates.”
The play, with a run time of approximately two and a half hours with one intermission
According to Mousley, all the performances so far have drawn a crowd that seemed to really enjoy the performance “whether it be because they related to the story in some way of that they simply found it entertaining.”
The intense drama of the production captured many audience members including Bucks student Conor Sears, a 20-year-old business administration major from Holland, PA.
When asked about what he thought of the performance he said it was “Incredible.” “The best play I’ve seen all month.”
He especially enjoyed the scene of the political rally where Windrip excites the crowd with the promises of his campaign, including the pledge to give every citizen $5000 during the start of his term.
Another Bucks student, Derek Esplin, a 22-year-old music major from New Hope, PA, said he thoroughly enjoyed the performance.
He thought the parallels between the play’s fictional scenario and the modern political sphere were interesting, even though any connections were stressed as unintentional by the cast.
The show closed on Oct. 29, but the Actors’ NET has more production in their upcoming season that are available on their website http://www.actorsnetbucks.org.