Blood Drive in Rollins Center

Bucks County Community College hosted the American Red Cross blood drive on Friday Nov. 9 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Gallagher Room of the Rollins Center.
Unfortunately, the blood drive did not yield spectacular results. In the five hours that the drive was open, there were less than thirty people that showed up, a small percentage of that being students.
There was speculation amongst the workers and donors about the reason for the small turnout. Some blamed the inclement weather, while others presumed that maybe students didn’t seem to grasp the importance of donating blood.
In the United States, someone requires a blood donation every two seconds. Blood donation is essential for surgeries, cancer treatment, chronic illnesses, and traumatic injuries. Whether a patient receives whole blood, red cells, platelets or plasma, this lifesaving care starts with one person making a generous donation.
Approximately 36,000 units of blood are needed every day in the U.S., and Red Cross has made it not only accessible, but also extremely simple for people to donate blood and provide it to those who need it.
The American Red Cross provides about 40 percent of our nation’s blood and blood components. According to their website, one donation of blood can potentially save up to three people. But the only way they’re able to provide it is through generous volunteer donors.
While over 60 percent of the population is eligible to give blood, supply can’t always meet demand because only about 10 percent of eligible people donate blood yearly.
Yet the weight of the issue doesn’t seem to be what lost students. Instead , it appears students were unaware of the opportunity to make a difference. While asking other students about the blood drive, it became obvious why the turnout was so low: the students didn’t know it was happening.
With the lack of promotion and the limited courses offered on Fridays, it was less likely that someone would stumble upon the event accidentally.
Wandering around campus looking for students to interview, it became obvious that the Gallagher room was not unique in its desolation: only a handful of students were on the property as a whole.
Matthew G., an 18-year old studio video production major, was one of the few students who was able to stop by and donate.
He discovered the drive just walking by on his was to his English comp class. Upon seeing the blood drive, he decided that moment was as good as any to donate blood for the first time.
“I was glad that I did it,” he said. “It’s definitely something I would do again. I would even say I enjoyed it.”
“It’s for a good cause,” Matthew advised his fellow students. “Just a few minutes out of your day.” Wise words from a truly selfless hero — not to mention he looked great in the free t-shirt he received for volunteering!
A blood drive will be held on the Upper Bucks Campus Thursday Dec. 6th. The next blood drive at Newtown Campus will be held Tuesday, February 19th.