“Tekken Tag Tournament 2” review

he King of Iron Fist has returned. “Tekken Tag Tournament 2” brings the largest roster ever seen in the series.

It has been over a decade since the first Tekken Tag Tournament (TTT) game was released and many people were wondering if there would ever be another Tekken Tag game in the series.

But don’t worry, Tekken Tag fans: This sequel does not disappoint.

The Tekken Tag Series is a spin off from other Tekken games and doesn’t feature a story, but it brings a huge roster into the game. It’s a Big Tekken Reunion.

Button layout is the same as in previous Tekken titles. The same rules apply as in the first game. It’s a two-on-two team battle, and whomever is the first to defeat their opponent wins.

In Tekken Tag only one person needs to be defeated in order to win the match so it’s always important to tag in your partner when your teammate is running low on health. Your tag partner will be able to recover his or her health when tagged out.

The game play feels a lot like Tekken six, only with the tag-in features. Of the new tag-in features the tag throw is the simplest move to execute. Just press the right punch button together with the tag button. It actually manages to take some of your opponent’s red health.

The next tag feature is the tag combo. Press the tag button before your character performs a launcher attack and your teammate will be able to perform a combo on your opponent. Each character’s launcher attack is different and can at times be unsafe to use.

The last new tag mechanic that you have seen in the trailers is Tag Assault. To perform this a character must perform a bound on your opponent, which is basically a ground bounce. As soon as they are done press the tag button and your partner will join the fight for a little bit to perform a combo.

The player-controlled character is designated by a white outline. You also have the option of holding the tag button during the tag assault to have your partner automatically perform an assist combo. But be careful when pulling off the Tag Assault – your partner’s red health will be depleted.

Like many other fighting games “Tekken Tag 2” features an arcade mode that will reveal an ending for each character. Ghost battle, VS battle, Team battle, Time attack, Survival and Practice all make a return.

In ghost battle you can battle high rank computers; the higher the rank you beat the more money you can obtain, and get a new character ending as well. The new mode Namco added is called Fight Lab.

You can equip moves to Combat from other characters to make him or her the ultimate weapon.

Customize mode also makes a return and can make your character look the like the coolest fighter ever. Another mode is called Tekken Tunes. It’s a mode where you can change the background music of stages with a bunch of different music stored in the Tekken Library.

Online mode brings a lot to the table. The connection seems okay but, there’s a bit of lag here and there. At least it’s better than the Tekken six connections.

Rank matches are also back. You can battle people online to increase your rank or just simply do player matches where you battle in lobbies not affecting rank.

Online also adds the replay channel where you can save your battles and watch them to learn from your mistakes or your opponents mistake.

What’s also cool is that you can pick a character and watch his or her online replay battles so then you can improve on your skills.

Bottom line, TTT 2 does feel similar to Tekken six but adds the tag mechanics and goes up to four players so you won’t be alone when it comes time to play. The online game is pretty decent even though the connection is not the best in the world.

The huge roster of 50 characters is a huge benefit. The customization will have you there for hours tweaking every detail of your character.