Health conference comes to Bucks

Health conference comes to Bucks

April is Get Yourself Tested Month and a variety of groups were on-hand for the Sexual Health Conference in the Gallagher Room last Wednesday to push the initiative.

The Open Door Club sponsored the event, which promotes awareness and education of their issues while providing support to LGBTQA students at the Newtown campus.

Topics and games discussed in the five-hour meeting included: sex jeopardy, sexual violence education, local sponsors, LGBTQ 101, HIV/AIDS panel discussion and question and answer with providers.

“Our goal today is to push for testing among college students,” said event sponsor Sharita Flaherty from the Bucks County Department of Health. “Sexually Transmitted Diseases have gone up in Bucks County and we want to help control those numbers.”

The health department offers free and private testing for anyone in the Bucks County area. They recommend people who are sexually active to get tested every three months. They also provide help and information for anyone who may have HIV or AIDS.

Also present at the event was Bucks County Partners United for Sexual Health, who work hand-in-hand with organizations like the health department, NOVA and Planned Parenthood Association of Bucks County.

“We have been a part of BCPUSH for two years during the sexual education day here at Bucks and each year it keeps getting better,” said Alison Bellavance of Planned Parenthood. “Planned Parenthood also pushes for young people to get tested and accepts most insurance providers at low to no cost.”

Along with the conference, the Open Door club will be hosting its third annual alternative prom, which will be held on April 12 from 6 to 10 p.m. in the Gallagher room at the Newtown campus.

“We are putting the event together for people ages 16 and up who were unable to attend their own prom due to discrimination,” Open Door Club President Shay Hoppe said. “This year’s theme will be masquerade and there will be a DJ, free food and photos. Last year we even had people as old as 70 come; all are welcomed,” said the 30-year-old social work major from Newtown.

All proceeds from the event will go to Rainbow Room, Bucks County’s only LGBTQA community center. The prom will also support Bucks Villa of New Hope, which helps educate, house and connection to doctors those who are afflicted with HIV.

The Open Door Club meets in Rollins 115 every Wednesday from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. and Thursday from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. For information contact the club at [email protected] or on Twitter @BucksODC.

For more information about safe sex practices contact the Bucks County Health Department at 215-345-3344 or Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-PLAN.