Survey finds students support death penalty

The death penalty has always been a topic of controversy, but when Bucks students were surveyed at random as to

whether they support it or not, controversy was surprisingly nowhere in sight.  Out of 100 randomly surveyed

A room where lethal injections occur

students, 78 supported capital punishment.
The poll was a random sample, not a scientific survey.
Due to high profile homicide cases, the death penalty has caught a lot of attention recently. Casey Anthony, a Florida woman who was acquitted of first degree murder in the death of her 3-year-old daughter, Caylee, had faced the death penalty if convicted.
Because many people believed that Anthony was guilty, many deemed capital punishment appropriate and were furious that she was acquitted.
In another high profile case Troy Davis was also facing a death sentence. However, unlike Anthony, Davis was put to death on Sept. 21 in Georgia.
He was convicted and sentenced to die in 1991 for the 1989 murder of Georgia Police Officer Mark MacPhail.
During Davis trial, seven witnesses testified that they had seen Davis shoot MacPhail, and two others testified that Davis had confessed to the murder.
Over the years witnesses recanted their stories, saying that police had either coerced them into saying that Davis was the gunman.
Despite support from many high profile people, such as former President Jimmy Carter, all of Davis’ appeals were denied and he was executed.  According to ABC News, at the execution Davis asked the MacPhail family to “look deeper into the case,” and maintained his innocence. He said to prison officials carrying out the execution, “God have mercy on your souls.”
Chris Luther, 19, a criminal justice major from Holland, explained  his support for the death penalty.
“Some crimes are just so bad that the person who commits them deserves death.”
He believes that the death penalty serves as a message of warning to future defendants, Luther said.
Marc Isac, 20, a liberal arts major from Bensalem, also supports the death penalty, but only on rare occasions.
“I think the system needs the threat of capital punishment, but I only believe that it should be used on the most vicious of killers. I also believe that race and gender have a lot to do with it, and I think that Troy Davis and Casey Anthony are prime examples of that.”
John Wolf, 18, a criminal justice major, commented “An eye for an eye” in his beliefs about the death penalty.
“If someone kills someone, that killer should be put to death. It’s that simple. There has to be a sense of accountability.”
However, student Dan McMullen, 21, an elementary education major from Churchville, had a different take.
“I believe there are some things worse than death. Personally, I would rather die than live in a cell with no freedom.”
AJ Velichko, 23, from Fairless Hills, also agreed that death might not be the answer. “One injustice does not correct another injustice. No human being has the right to end another human being’s life, no matter the situation.”
According to the website, deathpenaltyinfo.org, there have only been three executions in Pennsylvania since 1976. In all three cases the offenders waived their appeals and asked that the execution be carried out. 34 states have capital punishment. Texas has led the way, executing 475 offenders since 1976.