Irans nuclear power warrants concern

In recent weeks, there have been multiple concerns regarding Iran, and its nuclear program. Iran suggests that it could expand, all the while threatening other countries who pursue sanctions. Obviously, tensions and pressures abound with counter measures taking the form of the aforementioned sanctions.

The sanctions, which are aimed at curbing Iran’s oil sales, have not had much effect with China and India still buying from two of its largest purchasers.

“I don’t think there’s a lot that can stop Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but with these sanctions, the people of Iran will obviously struggle to survive,” said Thomas Vaughan, 18, a Business Administration major from Newport Ville.

Perhaps the most alarming situation arising from this is the fact that a rocket defense system is currently under construction just outside of Tel Aviv, Israel. Israel has been under plenty of duress lately, and is perhaps resorting to a preemptive strike to protect themselves.

Other pundits suggest that Israel could attack Iran first, with perhaps an even larger scale war taking place. This is very similar to the war in 2006 against Hezbollah, a militant group funded by Iran and Syria.

Iran, however, has stated that its nuclear program is for energy purposes and not weapons as many countries believe.

The US figures to defend—perhaps with troops—Israel if a strike were ever to take place, which could perhaps signal the start of another large conflict in the Middle East.

How do Bucks students feel about this?

“I believe they [Iran] obviously intend to strike Israel, and currently, the United States of America is in a ‘Security Dilemma,’” suggested Brian McGuire, 21, International Relations major from Philadelphia.

“A Security Dilemma refers to a situation wherein two or more states are drawn into conflict, possibly even war, over security concerns, despite none of the states desiring such a conflict. Basically, they don’t want war,” stated McGuire.

“It is a sticky situation because both Israel and Iran want to make advancements, with both having the capabilities to have nuclear weapons, and the U.S obviously backs Israel, which only makes the region more volatile. A lot of people are worried about another conflict in the Middle East,” offered McGuire.

Certainly, it’s looking ever more so clear that the U.S could take military action against Iran. Iran has shown a recent defiance toward the United Nations with Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei stating: “With God’s help, and without paying attention to propaganda, Iran’s nuclear course should continue firmly and seriously; pressures, sanctions and assassinations will bear no fruit. No obstacles can stop Iran’s nuclear work.”

The disobedience hasn’t stopped there, however, as Iran has had its military practice defending its multiple nuclear sites, according to multiple sources. This continued noncompliance is perhaps the very thing that could get the US involved.

“I think our involvement is a very real possibility. The country should take this pretty seriously; nuclear weapons obviously aren’t something to take very lightly and could perhaps lead to a magnitude of loss we’ve never seen before,” offered Vaughan.

Other students, however, seemed to be ready to defend Israel and the US, as well as block Iran from being a potential nuclear threat: “I believe no matter what that the US should intervene,” stated Dylan Newbon, 18, also a business administration major, from Yardley.

“Even though it directly doesn’t involve us, we should get involved simply because this involves a huge issue in the form of nuclear weapons. Despite us getting out recently of the Iraq War, we should still be concerned for our citizens,” opined Newbon.

With the Middle East situation growing more volatile, look for an address by President Obama soon, with the situation perhaps getting worse before it gets better.