Gas is going up and Bucks students are mad

With the average price of gas in the country reaching $3.88, people are definitely feeling the pressure at the pump. Undoubtedly this affects Bucks students, many of whom commute.

Kermitta Weeden, tourism and event planning major from Warminster, has to adjust her budget because of the gas prices: “The gas prices have affected me because I don’t have a lot of money to just spend on nothing these days. Basically, I just keep limited resources for gas so I can get to school and at my age as a senior, it really does not help me because I collect social security.”

For Pennsylvanians, the pain is even worse, as the average customer pays $3.92 for a gallon of gas.

In a recent article by Yahoo! Finance, Gasbuddy.com’s senior petroleum analyst, Patrick DeHaan went on the record as stating that gas prices are so inflated due to multiple reasons. Reasons he said include Hurricane Isaac, the unrest in the Middle East over the portrayal of Mohammed, as well as the general low level of supply.

The good news for drivers is, however, is that price relief comes in the months of October and November; in 2011 the average price of gas fell from $3.57 in September to $3.29.

Likewise, the price of gas is usually expected to surge highest in “driving season;” Memorial Day to Labor Day. But, as DeHan notices the trend has gone backwards in a sense now, as September has featured the highest gas prices, rising 10 percent since July. DeHaan also states how drivers who exceed 15,000 miles a year could see their annual gas costs increase by $100 or more.

Mallory Rotatori, a studio arts major from Bucks said about the gas prices, “They’re ridiculous…well here it’s a little better because I go to see my dad all the time in Rhode Island and it’s at least 75 cents more. I mean, if it’s like $4 here than it’s almost $5 there. It’s ridulous we get scammed, but we have no control over it.

With the gases prices higher in recent years college students have to improvise and learn different ways to save money.

“I just have had to pick up more hours. The only thing that’s a different is I used to drive myself, but now there is a lot of carpooling going on,” says Nick Kinney, a communications major from Chalfont.

According to Fueleconomy.gov, there are multiple ways to be economical when it comes to fuel. Quick acceleration and heavy breaking can reduce to fuel economy up to 33 percent on the highway and five percent around town. Driving at higher speeds increases aerodynamic drag (wind resistance), and reduces fuel economy. When you are in your car picking up a friend, shut off your car because it lowers your MPG.

Even though gas prices are high, people would be well served to have the mindset of Dan Gallagher who said, “Everyone wishes they were lower, but it is one those unfortunate things we have to deal with because we need gas, so it’s one of those necessary evils.”