Harvest day breaks in the new fall season

It was a beautiful sunny morning on Sept. 22, 2012, and many local residents found themselves enjoying one of the first days of fall at Harvest Day.

The Makefield Women’s Association and the Yardley Business Association held their 43rd Annual Harvest Day, located in Yardley Borough, along Afton Avenue and Buttonwood Park. Harvest Day was open to the public from 10am-5pm, where people did shopping of all sorts, from birthdays to even Christmas.

Harvest Day has become somewhat famous throughout the past years, reminding people of an autumn-themed flea market. Hundreds of people gathered on this day to enjoy some food, do some shopping, and enjoy a relaxing day with their friends and family.

Everyone who had a vendor space had to be selling items that were either handmade or unique manipulations of mass-produced items. There was a great diversity among vendors, varying from homemade candles to goat cheese.

Alongside individual vendors, Yardley Makefield Fire Department had a tent set up outside Station 0, located in Yardley Borough off of Main Street, solely for the purpose of recruiting new members.

Volunteer firefighter and Assistant Chief Tim Chamberlain explained how to sign up.

Chamberlain said, “If you want to become a volunteer firefighter, fire police, fire rescue or anything along the lines of volunteering you can go to the BucksFire.org website, click on join our team, fill out all your information on the contact form and wait to hear if a volunteer contacts you.”

Not only did the Fire Department do their part to reach out to the community, but Yardley Makefield E.M.S. had an ambulance that was covered with a pink ribbon that covered the entire vehicle for Breast Cancer Awareness.

People were able to sign on the ribbon in remembrance of someone who lost their battle, are still fighting or have overcome their battle.

Walking along the streets of Harvest Day, locals saw a diverse amount of creative ideas, and different ways that vendors made a living. There were many unique items ranging from Serenity Prayer Boxes, Monarch Glass, and decorations made out of disposable everyday items. Yardley Ice House featured their Pumpkin Pie flavored water ice for attendees to enjoy.

This year’s Harvest Day saw adults, teenagers, children, and elders. Yardley borough even welcomed residents of other towns that came to experience their tight-knit community driven culture.

Next year’s Harvest Day will be held on Sept. 21, 2013. Vendors will be alike to this year’s, and residents are encouraged to invite their family and friends to help build this ever-growing community event.