Romney and his values

As the 2012 presidential election nears, the one-time governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, awaits his fate.

Willard Mitt Romney was born in Detroit, Michigan on March 12, 1947, into the family of Lenore and George Romney. Mitt Romney followed in his father’s footsteps into the political field after watching his dad become the governor of Michigan from the years of 1963-1969.

In 1966, Romney spent 30 months as a Mormon Missionary in France. In 1969, he and Ann Davies married and had five children, Tagg, Matt, Josh, Ben and Craig. The family was brought up in the Mormon faith.

Olivia Bucci, nursing major at Bucks, said, “I don’t pay attention much to politics, however, I read on the internet about Mitt Romney’s wife stating that women should be stay-at-home-moms and let the men provide everything for them. I disagree entirely.”

Romney grew up living in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. He attended the prestigious Cranbrook School and then received his undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University in 1971.

He then attended Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School, receiving a law degree and a Master of Business Administration degree in 1975.

Students at Bucks appreciate many of Romney’s views. Some students do not feel the same way.

Osman Tyler, a computer science major at Bucks said, “Romney supports Pro-Life, and I appreciate that because so do I.”

Romney founded the investment firm Bain Capital in 1984, and later ran for a seat in the Massachusetts Senate in 1994, but lost to incumbent Ted Kennedy.

In 1999, Romney became president of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee. He participated in helping rescue the 2002 Winter Olympic Games from financial and ethical misfortune, and guided the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.

Romney authored the book “Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership, and the Olympic Games” later in 2004.

He became governor of Massachusetts in 2003 and ran for the Republican nomination in the 2008 election, but was defeated by John McCain.

In June 2011, Romney made public his bid nomination for the Republican Party and in May 2012 he was named the Republican’s Party’s presumptive nominee. On Aug. 28, 2012, he became the Republican Party’s absolute presidential nominee, receiving 2,061 delegate votes, almost double the amount required.

During the first convention held in Tampa, Florida, Mitt Romney and running mate Paul Ryan received positive feedback from other Republican politicians.

John McCain told the Los Angeles Times the second day, “For four years, we have drifted away. ‘People don’t want less of America, they want more. ‘What they want to know is, whether we still have faith: Mitt Romney has that faith, and I trust him to lead us.”

After the first presidential debate held Oct. 3, 2012, Romney made headlines in newspapers across the world. American’s all over were talking and complimenting Romney’s public speaking and the way he handled himself during the debate. The majority of the population said that Romney won that debate, hands down.

Victor Rodriguez, engineering major at Bucks said, “Mitt set out a press conference and stated that he plans on giving federal grants to students of low income to help pay for school. If he follows through with what he has stated, that will benefit my family and my education. He has my vote!”

So what are Romney’s views on America’s top issues?

Romney wants to rebuild the economy based on free enterprise, hard work and innovation. His plan is to reduce taxes, spending, regulation, and government programs, as well as to increase trade, energy production, human capital, and labor flexibility.

Another big issue is our Foreign Policy. Romney feels that we should safeguard America and secure our countrie’s interests. His strategy is American strength. He believes it is American power that can provide an international system that ensures the security and prosperity of the United States and our allies.

One of the biggest issues, at least to students, is education. Bucks and other four-year schools recently had their budgets cut by Pa. republican governor Tom Corbett. Romney wants to expand parental choice, invest in innovation and reward teachers for their results. He says he will also ensure that students have diverse affordable options for higher education.

Romney says he will issue an executive order to repeal Obamacare. Then give each state power to come up with their own Healthcare reform plan that is best for their own state.

He claims he will address the issue of illegal immigration in a civil manner. As well as strengthen our economy, ensure our security and keeps America’s tradition of legal immigrants.

When it comes to America’s employment issue, he will first retrain American workers to make sure they have the skill and education to keep up with the jobs of our economy. He will then look to attract the best and the brightest from around the world.

• Economy: He wants to rebuild the economy biased on free enterprise, hard work, and innovation. His plan is to reduce taxes, spending, regulation, and government programs. As well as to increase trade, energy production, human capital, and labor flexibility.

• Foreign Policy: Wants to safeguard America and secure our countries interests. His strategy is American strength; he believes it is American power that can provide an international system that ensures the security and prosperity of the United States and our allies.

• Education: He wants to expand parental choice, invest in innovation, and reward teachers for their results. He will also ensure that students have diverse affordable options for higher education.

• Healthcare: Will issue an executive order to repeal Obamacare. Will then give each state power to come up with their own Healthcare reform plan that is best for its own state.

• Immigration: He will address the issue of illegal immigration in a civil manner. As well as strengthens our economy, ensures our security, and keeps America’s tradition of legal immigrants.

• Jobs: He will first retrain American workers to make sure they have the skill and education to keep up with the jobs of our economy. He will then look to attract the best and the brightest from around the world.