With relentless cold and snow, Bucks students wonder if winter will ever end

In a winter that never seems to end, snow and ice last week left local infrastructure and school systems crippled as local utilities and township crews struggled to keep roads safe and schools and homes powered.

Over 40 inches have fallen this winter, more than 2011-2012 and 2010-2011 winter snowfall totals put together.

According to the Courier Times, Tuesday night’s ice storm left roughly 620,000 customers without power throughout the Philadelphia area, including 143,000 residents in Bucks County.

Tuesday night’s storm is the second most disruptive storm in recent history, behind hurricane Sandy, which caused a record total of 850,000 customers to lose power, according to the Courier Times.

Many schools are facing consecutive closures after power outages.

Power outages have affected Bucks directly, which has closed three times and had one delayed opening since the beginning of the spring semester on Jan. 22.

Catherine McElroy, Interim Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs, said “concern for the safety of our students, faculty and staff is the primary consideration in determining when the campus will be closed.”

McElroy added “Students lost classes on Jan. 22, Feb. 3 and Feb. 5, as well as classes before 11:00 a.m. on Feb. 6.”

Making up these classes will definitely be a concern as well. McElroy said “we have already committed to using scheduled make-up days: Classes lost on Jan. 22 will be made up on May 14. Classes lost on Feb. 3 will be made up on May 15.” She added that Bucks officials are “in the process of determining how we will make up classes lost on Feb. 5 and 6.

The poor weather meant roads were treacherous for commuting students.

“I’ve had trouble driving in the weather, and my car has 4- wheel drive,” said Kim Hoch, 23, a con-ed student.

The road conditions have not only been scary, but also costly. “I’ve lost two tires and wheels due to pot holes covered by the snow. [That’s] almost $1,200 in damages,” said Matt Fellenz, 24, an A+ Certification student.

Other than driving, some students have had no problems with the weather. “The weather is no big deal for me, though I’m getting sick of the cold,” says Kayra Fisher, 18, a psychology major.

Journalism student Ali Kuklinsky said, “I want it to end really badly. I feel like I’m living in Antarctica or Alaska.”

Other were dealing with a loss of power at home. “I lost power and I’ve been staying at my cousins,” says Jamie Brnilovich, 20, an English major.

Journalism student Chris Pierre agrees, saying, “I had to park all the way in lot C because my car’s tires were slipping too much.”

While many students are concerned with the current affairs of their roads and schools, others are worried about the effect the consecutive closures will have on them in May.

Student Daniel Bowers said, “May 20 is late enough. Winter break was too long and now summer is going to be shortened more than it already is.”