Bucks student helps victim at scene of crash

Centurion reporter and editor, Michele Haddon, 34, aided 91-year-old Stuart Fox after his Audi collided with a Jeep Wrangler driven by Payton Raubenstine, 19, on the morning of Sept. 29 at the entrance to the Doylestown Shopping Center on Old Dublin Pike.

“I was about to load my groceries into my car when I heard squealing tires and then a crash,” said Haddon. “I peered around the parking lot and saw an older gentlemen trying to get out of his wrecked car,”

Calling on her 15 years of experience as a fire fighter and 6 years of experience as an E.M.T., Haddon abandoned her cart of groceries and ran over to assist Fox. After seeing the air bags were deployed and there was no imminent danger to Fox or herself, Haddon instructed him to stay in the car.

“When you get into a car crash like that one you should just stay in the car…” Haddon continued, “I asked him his name and he said it was Stuart Fox but he couldn’t tell me what day it was or what had happened,” stated Haddon.

Haddon focused her attention on Fox as two women tended to Raubenstine.

“He was in shock a little and he suffered a laceration to his right ear,” continued Haddon. “I called out to other bystanders for something to bandage his ear and help control the bleeding,”

A bystander quickly returned with a roll of paper towels, while others stayed on the scene in case they were needed.

Chief of Central Bucks Ambulance Chuck Pressler was first on the scene followed closely by an ambulance soon after the collision. The E.M.T.’s collared Fox and loaded him onto a stretcher informing him he would be transported to Abington Memorial Hospital Trauma Center to check for internal injuries, according to Haddon.

The Doylestown Borough Police were next to arrive on the scene to direct traffic and section off the intersection.

“It was nice how people came together, someone even loaded my groceries for me,” said Haddon.