Nissan Sentra stolen from Newtown Campus

On Thursday, Oct. 22, at around 1:15 pm, a student reported their vehicle, a silver 1995 Nissan Sentra, stolen from parking lot A.

The director of Security and Safety at Bucks, Dennis McCauley, says that the stolen vehicle was reported via the emergency call box.

Security officers first searched the school parking lots, to ensure that the car was in fact stolen, and not simply misplaced. “Sometimes we get these reports and the…person forgot where they parked it, which lot. So we spent a lot of time looking around, ultimately determining that it wasn’t in any of the lots.” says McCauley.

Once the car was officially determined to be stolen, the police were contacted. “The police came out and took a police report, and entered it into what they call the NCIC database.

The car is entered in there as a stolen vehicle. What that does,” explained McCauley, “is if any police officer should come across the car, call in the license plate, for some reason, it will pop up on their system as a stolen vehicle.”

As of Nov. 5, the student reports that the car has still not been recovered, and Bucks security currently has no leads as to who the thief may be. “No one has been accused or arrested in the case,” says McCauley.

Car thefts on campus are, as McCauley states, “very, very unusual,” and until Thursday, one hadn’t occurred since 2007.

Despite this, security advises students to take simple precautions such as double checking that they’ve locked their car, keeping their keys on them at all times, and keeping any valuables inside their car hidden from view.

McCauley said crime on campus tends to spike during April and October, but normally consists of “either graffiti or thefts of small items like cellphones.

Typically that happens because the student left their property unattended. So they set their cell phone down and walked away from it.

“We always recommend students not to leave valuable items unattended.”

Benjamin DeGraffinried, 24 who is a Business Administration major from Yardley believes that, “There should be cameras out there, maybe even more staff.”

DeGraffinried added, “I’m surprised I haven’t heard anything about it; no text messages or emails.”

Jackie Nem, a 19-year-old business administration major from Langhorne, was unaware of the incident as well saying, “That blows my mind.”

Nem added that security should possibly increase the frequency of their patrols.

Updates on this matter will be reported as they develop. For now, it’s best to keep an extra eye out for suspicious activity, and report anything to security.