Humane Society aims to involve youth in animal advocacy

The Humane Society of the United States- Pennsylvania (HSUS) is striving to involve teenagers and young adults in animal advocacy as they launch their annual Humane Lobby Day in Harrisburg.
Each year, animal advocates gather in the Capital building in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania with the Humane Society of the United States, and speak to their State Representatives and State Senators about bills they are trying to pass to help protect animals. This year on April 4, 2016, animal advocates will again meet with affiliates of the HSUS and lobby for animals in the Harrisburg Capital.
Kristen Tullo, the Pennsylvania State Director for HSUS, is hoping that teenagers and young adults will also attend Lobby Day and help put an end to many “inhumane” animal practices that are occurring in their state. “By having young adults and teenagers attend Lobby Day, we can pair them up with people who have had prior experience and are well versed in advocacy”, Tullo states, “People with experience can help create a cohesive animal protection network across the state of Pennsylvania.”
Recently, Tullo visited A. Phillip Randolph Career and Technical High School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and spoke with the student council at the school, which is run by U.S. History Teacher, Mrs. Ellen Cohen. This year will mark the third year Ellen Cohen has been attending Humane Lobby Day with her Student Council so they can learn how to effectively advocate for animals and work with their state lawmakers to help pass laws.
Tullo mentions that each of these students was an inspiration to her as animal lovers and advocates, and she would not be surprised if they become politicians when they grow up.
“When each of the students were introducing themselves to me and explaining different animal issues, they understood why it’s important to have animals included in their everyday lives. They are wise beyond their years”, Tullo concludes.
Christopher Kradzinski is one of the student council students at A. Phillip Randolph Technical and Career High School and has been attending Lobby Day in Harrisburg for the past three years. He mentions that his favorite part of attending Lobby Day is being given the chance to speak to his legislators about the bills HSUS and animal advocates like him are trying to help pass.
“I have learned that in order to get a bill passed, you have to be willing to speak to your State Representatives and Senators”, Christopher Kradzinski states, “I have enjoyed speaking to mostly all of my legislators who have helped vote on bills we may have mentioned to them when we were speaking to them during Lobby Day”.
Christopher Kradzinski also mentions that he feels it is important to be able to effectively speak to state representatives and senators at a young age and legislators may be more willing to support.“If you convince your legislators at a young age, such as 15 years old and in student council like me to support animal friendly Bills, it will say something about the importance of animals lives and why people should care about them”, Christopher states.
Elissa Katz, is a lawyer in Pennsylvania who is also the President of Humane PA, the “Political Voice for Animals” and agrees that it is the young adults and teenagers who make a significant impact on their lawmakers and legislators. “Often times, a young person has a perspective that is fresh and not yet jaded, which can have a huge influence on others”, Katz declares, “It is important for legislators to see that the humane treatment of animals is an important issue to people of all ages, even those who are currently too young to vote.”
“Maybe the exposure to government will interest one of the young adults to ultimately run for office! People are very disillusioned with the political process, and it’s young people who are the future”, Heidi Prescott, the Senior Vice President of Campaigns for the Humane Society of the United States, adds. “Policymaking is a torturously long process, but it is worth the investment when a good bill is signed into law.”
Amongst the bills being mentioned this year during Lobby Day are Senate Bill 977 and House Bill 1516: Pets in Hot Cars which is both a Senate and House Bill and will fine people who leave their animals in their cars. If an animal is found in a hot car unattended, police can remove the animal from the car if they have reasonable suspicion that the animal’s health is in danger, According to Kristen Tullo, “We need the bill to go into effect now because the summer is close by and shelters need to prepare.”
Another bill that is being pushed this year is Angel’s Law (House Bill 113) which is working to enforce stricter laws in Pennsylvania than are already in place for any acts of cruelty against an animal. Tullo mentions that Equine Protection is now being pushed for in this bill.
For Christopher Krazindski, however, he mentions that he hopes to see the Anti-Tethering Bill; Senate Bill 373, which is held up in the House Judiciary Committee presently, passed this year. This bill will prevent the tethering of a dog outside on a leash or chain.
“For this bill animal advocates are looking for non-choke collars and to prevent the 24/7 tethering of a dog. We have certain elements in place to help protect the dogs”, Kristen Tullo states.
“These bills are important because the animals associated with these bills can die if they are not protected”, Christopher Krazindski explains.
In addition, the HSUS, along with other fellow advocates, are working to see that an end is put to Live Pigeon Shoots in Pennsylvania and are asking Pennsylvania citizens to call their legislators and ask them to support Senate Bill 715.
This is a bill that Kristen Tullo, Elissa Katz and Heidi Prescott are hoping will finally pass this year, after 26 years of dying on the House floor. The bill prohibits the launching of pigeons for target practices.
“The time has come to end these horrific contests that have no place in our society. It came close last year after passing the senate 36-12, so now is the time to take it over the finish line”, Heidi Prescott includes. “We need to work together strongly and work hard to match the effort of the NRA to kill it. It is not enough to call one time on this one; we need sustained pressure.”
Elissa Katz mentions that young adults and teenagers who are attending Lobby Day can help see that this bill passes by sharing their personal stories of how these shoots affect their own lives.
“A characteristic of live pigeon shoots is the use of youngsters to gather and kill the wounded birds”, Katz asserts. “A young person talking to their legislators can describe how it makes them sad and troubled to know that their peers are being taught to be hard and cruel to animals.”
In addition, Katz also maintains, “They can tell their legislators that they have the power to make the state better for young people and that they hope that they will exercise that power responsibly.”
According to Heidi Prescott and Humane PA, when meeting with your state legislators, you should come prepared because you have a small amount of time to get your points across to your legislators, arrive early for your appointment as a legislator’s schedule can be challenging and last minute changes can be expected, as well as being professional and friendly.
“I think it is critically important for young people and teenagers to attend Humane lobby day. By attending Lobby Day, these young people will be informed and educated voters when they turn 18. They will also have had the opportunity to be exposed at ground level to advocacy for animals and public policy”, says Elissa Katz.
According to Christopher Krazindski, “As a Pennsylvania citizen who cares about animals, it is important to attend Lobby Day because you are given the opportunity to speak with your representatives and senators about bills and make the situation the bill focuses on illegal so that people who mistreat animals can pay the price. For issues such as Pigeon Shooting, it is important to me as a state citizen because these animals did not do anything to harm anyone else unless they see you as a threat or they are confused.”
Elissa Katz gives another reason why young adults and teenagers should attend Lobby Day: “its fun! Humane Lobby Day is a wonderful opportunity to be exposed to the legislative process and how state politics work in Pennsylvania.”
Animal advocates with the HSUS are hoping to bring to the attention of young adults and teenagers, many of the issues concerning animals during Humane Lobby Day. They are also hoping that these teens and young adults attending Lobby Day will spread the word about many of the bills animal advocates are trying to pass.
“Keeping the next generation of experienced leaders in animal advocacy is important”, Kristen Tullo states, “We need animal friendly leaders, and students like the ones in student council at A. Phillip Randolph Career and Tech are our future leaders.”