Falls Township Residents React to Elcon Recycling Plant Project

Falls Township residents are speaking up about the Elcon Plant Project that is trying to be developed in Falls Township.
Elcon is trying to develop a hazardous waste treatment facility at the Keystone Industrial Port Complex in Falls Township.
Many local residents are angered with the possible project and are beginning to speak up about it.
Elizabeth Pfile, 25, employee at Giant (Oxford Valley Road), resident of Falls Township reported that she does not agree with what Elcon is doing.
“Have you seen what the Delaware River looks like now? Its already in bad shape,” said Pfile. “This plant is not going to make things better, it will only make it worse.”
The Elcon industry reportedly said that the plant they plan to build will discharge untreated waste to the Delaware River and spew all kinds of deadly toxins into the air.
Among the toxic chemicals discharged by the plant are arsenic, mercury and benzene.
Cameron Kline, 20, student majoring in journalism at Shippensburg University, is another Falls Township resident and reportedly, is concerned about the Elcon project.
“I just don’t think it’s safe,” said Kline. “Putting hazardous waste into the Delaware like that, it’s wrong and they know it.”
Jake Bernard, 21, student majoring in business at Jamestown, resident of Falls Township reported that he heard that the plant will be good for the Township.
“I went on their website and found some pretty interesting facts,” said Bernard. “From what I saw, the plant will be far away from Delaware River and will not harm anyone.”
On Elcon’s website, www.elcon.com, they reportedly stated that the facility that would be built will be located on 22 developed acres of a larger 33 acre property inside the Keystone Industrial Port Complex in Falls.
In addition to this, they also reportedly stated that the planned facility would be roughly one mile away from the river and no treated water would be released into the waterway.
Matthew Peterson, 20, employee at GameStop ( Oxford Valley Road), resident of Falls Township reported that he is ok with the plant being built.
“It seems to be an ok project,” said Peterson. “I think people have to go to their website and look deeper into the project. Realistically, it isn’t hurting anyone or anything.”
One fact about Elcon that has residents concerned is that 596 of harmful chemicals will be released from their facility and drop in what many believe to be in the Delaware River.
Courtney Balmer, 42, stay at home mom, resident of Falls Township reported that she is a strong supporter of not letting Elcon bring in their plant.
“I completely disagree to whatever Elcon states to people,” said Balmer. “They are a bunch of liars and only plan to use us as another resource to dump their hazardous toxins.”
Around Falls Township are numerous Elcon signs with a big red circle surrounding it, telling people to not support Elcon.
The Falls Township Board Committee remains silent in their position within the matter.